Thread: Gedcom

Loves to help with queries

Default Gedcom

I am not good with computers and I need to make a gedcom. I can get to the bit in Family Tree Maker where you make the Gedcom, but then it has to be saved somewhere. I don't know how to find it when it's been saved and I don't know how to attach it to an email. I can send emails, but I have never sent an attachment. I'd be grateful for advice, cicilysmith

MarkJ

Not using FTM, I can't say for certain, but I would suspect it will be stored in the folder for the FTM program. Have you tried searching using the Find thing in Windows for all files ending in .ged?

thank you for the tip, I will try that when I make the gedcom, cicilysmith

Lizzy9

I have windows Vista and find searching for documents and files easy. If you have Vista, click on the start icon (the small globe with the windows symbol, bottom left) you'll be presented with a 'search box' simply enter ged and your gedcom file should be there.

Famous for offering help & advice

:Hi ciclysmith..

I just downloaded that same one last night on the advice and instructions from a cousin in Kent. ( He's sending me a gedcom of some of our family) Mine now shows up on my menu and on my desktop as I saved it to desktop when it asked where to save it to! ( Same cousin said that's what to do!) Most people on here will tell you that I am computer challenged as well..... Now I just have to figure out the next step!

Sue

I'm using windows7... don't know if that makes any difference

Name well known on Brit-Gen

On desk top, right click on your Gedcom, ,,in the dropdown box..click on send to..mail recipient..Voila. Email ready to send with Gedcom.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Thank you all very much and I will have a go when I can get at the big computer (which has the tree on). It's very kind of all of you, cicilysmith