Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bjelkier

Leander, I am very grateful for your generosity,time and trouble - present and future - I can't wait to see the results.

Bjelkier

Leander

It has arrived!

Unfortunately, it is merely a copy of the marriage license -- the paper that you frame and hang on the wall. It is NOT the application/affidavit, so there is no background information on Alphonse and Kate. I'm so sorry.

Here is the wording:

MARRIAGE LICENSE

State of Illinois THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS,
    COOK COUNTY

To any Person Legally Authorized to Solemnize Marriage, Greeting:

Marriage may be celebrated between

Mr. Alphonse S. Lozey of Chicago in the County of Cook and State of Illinois of the age of 37 years, and
    Miss Kate Dougherty of Chicago in the County of Cook and State of Illinois of the age of 27 years.

Witness, E.F.C. KLOKKE, Clerk of the County Court of said Cook
    County, and the Seal thereof, at my office in Chicago this 27th
    day of March A.D. 1882.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, E M Smith, CM a Catholic Priest hereby certify that Mr. Alphonse S Lozey
    and Miss Kate Dougherty were united in Marriage by me at
    St. Vincent Church in the County of Cook and State of Illinois
    on the 28th day of March 1882

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was at St Vincent de Paul Church. I found a history link for the church and a picture of Father Smith here: https://www.stvdep.org/church/history.asp

It's very disappointing that they do not have (or do not send) the application data. I'm sorry that there is not much information here. Alphonse remains an enigma.

Please let me know if you would like me to send you this copy. Or, I could try taking a digital photo and emailing it to you.

bjelkier

Hello Leander, sorry I haven't replied sooner but I have been away for a few days. It is disappointing that we didn't learn all we were hoping for but I have been looking at the link you gave me and that was very interesting. As Alphonse wasn't RC, I suppose Kate was - do you think that would make it more likely that Alphonse was widowed rather than divorced? According to the License Alphonse was 37 - he was really 41 - but I suppose it's possible that he 'adjusted' his age a little in view of Kate's age [ it certainly happened quite often over here ]. I don't have a world wide subscription to Ancestry so cannot access any of the US records so I shall contact the Illinois archives to see if I can get anymore information regarding Anna,eg her death record, children etc.
    Thankyou very much for all your help, Bjelkier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12