waldon

Default Augustus Hester Crimean war

|I would like some help finding military records concerning the Crimean war. In his obituary it says my GGGrandfather Augustus Henry Hester at the age of 16 joined the British navy and saw active service during the Crimean war, being in most engagements under Admiral Lyons. In one engagement he was injured and then became valet to Admiral Lyons. Thank you

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Perhaps this would be your man's RN service record at the National Archives?

If you don't already have it, you can download it direct from the above link for £3.50.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I can confirm that Hester was awarded the Crimea and Turkish Crimea Medals while serving on HMS Royal Albert, where he was rated as a Boy 1st Class, Ships No.45.

Martin

waldon

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Perhaps this would be your man's RN service record at the National Archives?

If you don't already have it, you can download it direct from the above link for £3.50.
    Thank you for finding out about my GGGrandfather Augustus Hester. I downloaded the documents and it was him. I also now know when he joined the navy and also his birth date and where he was born which I didn't have. Thank you for your help. Donna

waldon

Thank you for your help. I have downloaded some documents from the National Archives and it is indeed him. Can you tell me what ships No. 45 means.
    Thank you
    Donna

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by waldon View Post
    Can you tell me what ships No. 45 means.
    It's simply his register number in the muster lists of that particular ship. Having this number makes it easier to find him when searching the musters. Unfortunately this can only be done in person at the National Archives at Kew.

Further to Kerrywood's reply. If you were to search the Muster Rolls you should be aware that there is more than one list. Generally there is the Crew List, then Boys 2nd Class and Boys 1st Class lists, together with the Royal Marines List. It therefore follows that you can have four individuals with the same muster number.

If you look at the Service Record you have downloaded from the NA, his ships number should correspond with that which applied while he served as a Boy (1st Class) aboard Royal Albert. Again, as a general rule, when a boy reached his 18th Birthday he was advanced to the rate of Ordinary Seaman. If this occurred while he was still serving on the same ship, he would then appear at least twice in the muster, once on the Boys list and the other on the Crew List, now with a completely different number.

Martin

waldon

Regarding my GGGrandfather Augustus Hester, I downloaded his documents and on his discharge papers was written record 2043. Is it possible to download these records from the National Archives and how do I go about it.
    Thank you Donna

Donna

I'm not sure what this number refers too. If you were to PM me his record, as an attachment, I might be able to make some sense of it.

Martin

waldon

Hi Martin,
    Re. GGGrandfather Augustus Hester. When we delve into the past of our ancestors we are not always going to be happy with what we find. The record number I am talking about was written in ink, by hand across his discharge papers. As I don't know if I am able to send a copy to you I will write exactly what it says. "Discharged the service from "Royal Albert: (April .60-1 as an undesirable character. As 12 April 1860 (N) Record 2043. Joining at the age of 16 in 1853 maybe war wasn't the great adventure he thought it was going to be. His brother was killed at the battle of Sebastopol and his only son was killed and is buried in Belgium during ww1.Thank you for your help.
    Donna