Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Lizzy9

Hi Jane,

Fantastic! You now know the marriage cert you have for Robert Poole and Mary is definitely the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    I've just had a better look at Liverpool Records office and they do hold the records of the school. I think I've been searching their photo catalogue! They have the Girl's Application books for 1851 onwards but the admission books from 1889. I might get lucky with the first but the second is too late. When they're able to search I'll ask.
    Jane
    I'll keep my fingers crossed - hoping they have the relevant record. Let us know, Jane, when you receive an answer.

sandrahardy

https://nis.wikidot.com/poole
    https://www.mundia.com/au/Person/5157787/-1493855122
    https://stpeterscooksriverhistory.wor...iver-calendar/
    I am related to the Elizabreth Hardy (nee Ibbotson) who was Margaret's "step mother"?
    I have a lot of info re the Hardy's but significantly I have land records which list a purchase of land by
    a relative of Elizabeth Ibbotson (George Ibbotson) in early Hurstville. One of the first people he sold the land to
    was a John Poole?
    George Ibbotson

Portion 115 (1950 acres) granted to John Townson in 1808 and then sold to Simeon Lord in 1812 from which time the area became known as "Lord's Forest". After Lord's death in 1840 his Hurstville lands were sold to John Rose Holden and James Holt of the Bank of NSW. The parcel was then sold in 1850 to Michael Gannon and the estate was called "Gannon's Forest".
    George Ibbotson purchased Lot 6 (and 5?) of the Gannon’s Forest Estate on 28 January, 1864.
    This land had originally been purchased by Charles Crew from Michael Gannon. After the death of Charles Crew and his wife Elizabeth the trustees of the estate, H. Selby and W.H. Smith sold the land to George Ibbotson on 28 January 1864. Ibbotson paid 115 pounds to Selby and Smith for the benefit of the children of Charles Crew, and covenanted to pay the 437 pound Crew owed to Michael Gannon, plus interest. On the 27 July 1864 Ibotson paid 452 pounds 5 shillings and 3 pence to pay the mortgage to Gannon.
    George Ibbotson sold parts of his land as follows
    16 November 1876 to John Poole and another (Reg. no. 418 Book 164)
    16 November 1876 to James Wilson (Reg. no 419 Book 164) At this time Ibbotson was described as a farmer of Hurstville.
    7 May 1877 to Patrick and Dora MacMahon 64 acres for 538 pounds
    25 February 1881 10 acres to Charles Dobbins and George Dobbins for 200 pounds Reg. no 866 Book 214
    5 July 1881 30 acres and 10 acres to Hamilton White of Forest Lodge, Gentleman, William Alexander Manning of Sydney Esq., John William cliff and Augustus Robinson Winkler 1300 pounds and 3600 pounds Reg no 224 Book 508
    2 November 1882 George Ibbotson storekeeper sold to William Henry Binsted and another Reg no 259 Book 28 for 3000 pounds. This land became the Hurstville Park Estate with Park Road running through it.
    My descendant Elizabeth Hardy lived on Park Road at the time of her death in 1882!
    The link between Hardy and Poole is what interests me. Any info appreciated. PS I have the land records (deeds) for the Poole purchase if you are interested!
    Kind Regards Sandra Australia contact dansan91ATbigpondDOTcom.au
    Last edited by christanel; 16-02-2014 at 1:30 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

spison

Hello Sandra!
    Thankyou so much for getting in touch.
    I will communicate by email but just to briefly respond to your extensive post.
    1. I am the creator of the wikidot site. I haven't updated Margaret's bio for ages but I have found nothing more on Robert (but I haven't been looking as I've been working on all the other biographies on my site). The POOLEs have been a little on the back-burner for a time. I must get back into it!
    2. I'm not sure that there is any connection between Robert POOLE and John POOLE but I also haven't investigated a potential relation of Robert's being in Australia. It is something that I will look at once I have emailed you. I really suspect that the link between Elizabeth and Robert is just a coincidence.
    3. Thankyou for the other links. A photo of Emma! Excellent. I will contact the tree owner!
    4. Lord's and Gannon's Forest appear often on my certificates. It must have been a wild time in the 1850s! Hard to imagine looking at it now!
    5. W. H. Smith needs investigation as William Smith was the man with Robert in the boat and with whom Robert was living when Robert died in 1872. The pair had been drinking at the San Souci hotel. They took a bottle of rum with them when they went to return up the George's River to their home. Robert owned the dingy. They were very likely four sheets to the wind as "something - it may have been the drink" caused the dingy to capsize and this is what William told the coroner. Robert drowned! William survived! This is probably a different man but interesting none the less.

Jane

spison

In 2 above I meant John and Robert is just coincidence!

spison

Ahhh Sandra! You made me investigate online trees. That has caused me to find an unregistered daughter of Mary Leonard and her first husband! Eliza Doig, the witness at the marriage of Emma Poole is that daughter. According to the trees, Eliza Merchant, a widow, married Walter Doig in 1867. She named her parents as Mary Leonard and James Garvin. The wonderful owner has a copy of the transcription on her site! The first marriage is on the NSW BDM index as William Merchant and Eliza Garving or Carvi. They married in 1858. This is how Emma knew her mother's maiden name! She was almost certainly raised by her half-sister, Eliza, after their mother, Mary died!

Jane

sandrahardy

Default Poole-Hardy

Hi Jane is it possible to send me any info you may have? I am looking for any connection with Poole and hardy? PS The land record I explained I found has John and Thomas Poole from Kingsgrove as purchases from Ibbotson's early Hurstville land (which had a Old Illawarra Highway border) in 1876.
    Elizabeth hardy mentioned in relation to Margaret Poole was originally Elizabeth Ibbotson. It seems a relative of Elizabeth's sold land in Hurstville to Poole?
    Kind Regards Sandra

spison

Hi Sandra,
    I sent an email to the address you gave in post #52 on 17 February (might it be in your spam?). My email contained a copy of the original letter connecting Robert Poole and Elizabeth Hardy but I have no records of a land purchase for Robert. I have still to investigate whether any such purchase is possible or occurred. I have never considered that Robert held land and I still doubt that he purchased any as at the time of his death he had moved in with William Smith, strongly suggesting that he and Elizabeth Hardy were no longer 'an item'. William Smith MAY BE the W. H. Smith involved in the land dealings but this is also unknown at this point. I get the impression from the inquest that Robert and William were not well-off.

I also doubt that there is a connection between Robert and John Poole although I haven't thoroughly investigated this possibility. Robert almost certainly arrived with Mary (and no other family) into Melbourne in 1852. He married Mary in Liverpool, England. His death registration confirms this approximate arrival date and doesn't indicate his having been in NSW any longer than this. I have still not confirmed that my Robert Poole was in fact Robert Latham (see earlier posts) but there was no obvious family OF HIS in Sydney that I have yet found.

It will be easier to work this out by email so I have sent you a private message with my email address as I am not sure that you received my email to the earlier address.

Jane

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456