DELILAH

Default Are these names of wandering ancestors?

hello, could anyone help me, my tree on both my parents sides have these surnames but my parents do not know if thay had any wandering ancesters .thease are from kent. blackman , roberts , rose, taylor, baker , epps , lee, any info would be much appreciated

Geoffers

With just a list of names, I would think it is impossible to say if any of the above were romany families - they may equally have been itinerant working families.

JAP1

Hi Delilah,

They aren't names which immediately jump out at me as Traveller names.

If I were you, I would Google for forums which mention Travellers and/or Romanies and related surnames.

And would home in on forums which have specific Traveller (or whatever they call them - there's a bit of PC about!) boards.

Very very best of luck!!

JAP

A fountain of knowledge.

blackman - can be yes

roberts - can be yes

rose - can be yes

taylor - can be yes

baker - can be yes

epps - not seen

lee - can be yes

so, yes, they could be, as travellers have used all but one of those names that I have seen...

You need to find out a lot more before you could say they were travellers though

DELILAH

HI, O
    hi, thankyou ann i have looked at some sites about travleing people but it still doe not help me to find out about my family my dads parents was quite old when i was young so i did not get to ask the questions i wouled of liked to of known and the great grandparents was very secretive too, i do know that most of my ancesters was oyster fishermen or farm laborors and i come from a small seaside town where its like everyone is related to each other,how wouled i be able to find out more about my ancesters liz

v.wells

You have to start with what you know first. Do you have your parent's marriage/ birth certs - from there you look for the grandparents births/marriages and then find them on the census. There are a host of free sites and pay sites to start you off.

When I hear the word "traveller" I think of people moving for job purposes or being commercial travellers eg. sales men. Not all travellers were Romanies/Gypsies.