Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sindylin

Default Using images of BMD certificates and Census returns

Hello,

I wonder if someone can advise;

I am compiling my family history into a book. This book will only be given to other family members, the lcoal libraries and FHS's. The book will be free although a lot of my own money has been spent in compiling it I'm not bothered as its being done as a "labour of love" so to speak.

I would like to use some of the scans of BMD certificates I have obtained from the GRO online in the book, also copies of some census returns.

Are these copyrighted? Am I likely to get into deep doo-doo if I use the images?

Also, I have a Pallots marriage entry image I found on A****** can I use this? PLus.....several Wills with the ancestors signature on it I would like to enlarge and use on their page. Can I do this?

Other than the above, all the pics are either mine, or I have permission to use them and also quotes in books, I have the author's permission.

I have been advised to get an ISBN number too even though it is only a very small print run (under 50)

Fortunately, I can get my husband to print it off from PDF files as he works with printers!

Any info greatly appreciated.

sindylin
    Last edited by sindylin; 03-08-2008 at 4:34 PM. Reason: addition

Guy Etchells

If the certificates (themselves, not the register entry) are over 50 years old they are out of copyright.
    If less they are within copyright you mention scans and online therefore they will almost certainly be in copyright.

The Pallots images are almost certainly in copyright.

If you are only using the signatures form the wills then you should be ok to use them.
    Cheers
    Guy

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

The copies of the census entries will be copyright.
    You will have to make do with transcriptions of the images, unless you get permission from the Crown to use the images.
    ChristineR

mfwebb

I make my own transcription copies of certificates and census returns and save them as pdf files. That way, I can share them with family abroad and publish them -- when I eventually get round to doing "the book".

sindylin

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    If the certificates (themselves, not the register entry) are over 50 years old they are out of copyright.
    If less they are within copyright you mention scans and online therefore they will almost certainly be in copyright.

If you are only using the signatures form the wills then you should be ok to use them.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Most of the certificates I have obtained are over 50 years old, as most of the people died over 50 years ago at least.

I ordered them all from the GRO website and then scanned them onto my computer.

So I should be ok to use them then....yes?
    Sindylin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sindylin
    Most of the certificates I have obtained are over 50 years old, as most of the people died over 50 years ago at least.

I ordered them all from the GRO website and then scanned them onto my computer.
    The way you have written this suggests that the certificates in your possession are new and are modern copies of records originally made over 50 years ago.

This is different from certificates which are over 50 years old.

Reputation beyond repute

I think your census images are probably downloaded in which case the company that scanned them also has copyright.

Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

Oh dear.

Now I am wondering if what I have done is OK! I have scanned all my BMD certificates and put them on my Tribalpages site. If this is a no-no, then I shall remove them all. Can someone advise me if this is allowed or not. Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Creighton View Post
    Can someone advise me if this is allowed or not.
    https://www.opsi.gov.uk/advice/crown-...-registers.htm

Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

OK - my wrist has been well and truly slapped! I have removed about 80 images from my site. I hope no one official spotted them .

Thanks for the info link.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast