Gill Hart

Question Why won't my website work in IE7?

I've recently been designing a website to show my OPC transcriptions. I think it's now ready for 'publication' and it's been uploaded to a test site but I'd thought I'd better check how it worked with various browsers before going live.

I've tested it with IE7, IE8, Firefox, Safari and Chrome and it works with all of them except IE7 where it cuts the title in half.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Not sure if I can post the website address on here or not (it's a non commercial site) - mods?

Gill

MarkJ

Send the link to me via PM and I will happily have a look at the source code.
    IE - in various versions - is not a standards compatible browser and struggles with certain code. Are you using CSS by any chance? If IE 7 fails, then probably 6 and earlier will too....

Mark

Gill Hart

As Mark suspected, it was due to the CSS file that I was using - the rogue line has been removed and the page is now displaying correctly.

Thanks to Mark for his help - website went live today!

Gill

Jack Richards

Hi Gill

Is there any reason why I/we cannot be informed of your web site address, it is said to be non commercial.?

I'm not going to mention your occupation! (vbg)

Kindest regards
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 05-03-2010 at 4:16 PM. Reason: ? missed off first sentence

Gill Hart

Hi Jack,

Sorry, for some reason, I missed your post. My website is freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gillh/se_index.html" and contains baptism, marriage and burial information for the St Erme parish in Cornwall. All information is available for free.

I'm actually an IT Manager (so no reason not to mention it <g>) but my job doesn't involve website design hence my request for advice.

Btw my mother's ancestors were from Stockport and both my parents grew up there.

regards
    Gill
    Last edited by Gill Hart; 02-05-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: space after link

Gambrill

Hello Gil

Just visited your St Erme website, and found several Carveth entries, so now I'll have to scurry to my database and see if any are "missing links.

My wife's Carveth family have lived in the Probus area and surrounds since the 1600s. Still family in Truro.

May be in touch.

Thanks
    JohnG

Gill Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Gambrill View Post
    Hello Gil

Just visited your St Erme website, and found several Carveth entries, so now I'll have to scurry to my database and see if any are "missing links.

My wife's Carveth family have lived in the Probus area and surrounds since the 1600s. Still family in Truro.

May be in touch.

Thanks
    JohnG
    Hi John,

I have a lot of CARVETH entries for St Allen as well if they are of any interest. My own family (not direct line) married into the CARVETHs of St Allen.

regards
    Gill