Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Hi Colin,

You can order the death certificate from the GRO using the information I found. This page may be of interest.
    The death certificate has arrived!!! There are no signatures or names of attending Physicians so presumably the ships M-O was the one to provide information. The heading of the Certificate is - "Certified Copy of an Entry in the Marine Register". I don't have a scanner so cannot produce a copy to view, but here follows a description:

Top Right of page is a Number NASD 005946
    Below this is Application Number 2127710/1

Then follows this item - Return of Deaths at Sea, reported to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen under the provision of "Merchant Shipping Act, 1894" and 1970,
    During the Month of January 1958.

Then follows the details - as follows:
    Name of Ship - Capetown Castle
    Official Number - 166402
    Date of Death - 17 Dec. 1957
    Place of Death - Lat. 10. 13. S Long. 2, 9. W. [Presume this to be the ship's position at time of death]
    Name and Suename of Deceased - Alfred Digby Fanning
    Sex - M
    Age - 60
    Rank, Profession or Occupation - Engineer
    Nationality - British/London
    Last Place of Address - 24 Steeplestone Close, Edmonton, London N.18
    Cause of Death - Neoplasm of left lung - Secondary - Neoplastic deposits in Brain, Cardiac Failure.
    Passenger or Member of Crew - Passenger.

So far we know he appears D.o.A in December 1957. I know that 'Cardiac Failure' is the heart stops. I know that he was granted a permit to stay in hospital in South Africa.

What I don't know is how he acquired the other causes of death or exactly what they were?

Finally, is it likely that an autopsy would be conducted and signed off of prior to his mortal remains being laid to rest?

Help here would be appreciated

Colin

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The death certificate has arrived!!! There are no signatures or names of attending Physicians so presumably the ships M-O was the one to provide information. The heading of the Certificate is - "Certified Copy of an Entry in the Marine Register". I don't have a scanner so cannot produce a copy to view, but here follows a description:

Top Right of page is a Number NASD 005946
    Below this is Application Number 2127710/1

Then follows this item - Return of Deaths at Sea, reported to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen under the provision of "Merchant Shipping Act, 1894" and 1970,
    During the Month of January 1958.

Then follows the details - as follows:
    Name of Ship - Capetown Castle
    Official Number - 166402
    Date of Death - 17 Dec. 1957
    Place of Death - Lat. 10. 13. S Long. 2, 9. W. [Presume this to be the ship's position at time of death]
    Name and Suename of Deceased - Alfred Digby Fanning
    Sex - M
    Age - 60
    Rank, Profession or Occupation - Engineer
    Nationality - British/London
    Last Place of Address - 24 Steeplestone Close, Edmonton, London N.18
    Cause of Death - Neoplasm of left lung - Secondary - Neoplastic deposits in Brain, Cardiac Failure.
    Passenger or Member of Crew - Passenger.

So far we know he appears D.o.A in December 1957. I know that 'Cardiac Failure' is the heart stops. I know that he was granted a permit to stay in hospital in South Africa.

What I don't know is how he acquired the other causes of death or exactly what they were?

Finally, is it likely that an autopsy would be conducted and signed off of prior to his mortal remains being laid to rest?

Help here would be appreciated

Colin
    Hi Colin,

A quick google indicates that Neoplasm is cancer. Sorry, that is about all I can provide.

Keyboard86

The captioned address was a residence for at least 25 years of a relative of mine. He may have bought the place prior to 1932 and he was still there in 1958.

I have been unable to find a death for this particular relative, so I am trying to find future residents [after 1958] that could give a possible indication as to the death of the owner.

I presume that Title/Deeds would provide such information, but being in Canada, where and how do I find this info.?

Cheers
    Colin
    Hi Colin, once again long time no speak, if you would like I will take a walk/but more than likely drive to said address and take a photograph for you, it is by description a dead end road, running off of Pasteur Gardens,
    this for many years ( Pasteur Gardens) formed part of a " Rat Run " to the greatest team in the land THFC!
    I am not into photo buckets etc, just PM me and we'll work something out!
    Keyboard

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Hi Colin, once again long time no speak, if you would like I will take a walk/but more than likely drive to said address and take a photograph for you, it is by description a dead end road, running off of Pasteur Gardens,
    this for many years ( Pasteur Gardens) formed part of a " Rat Run " to the greatest team in the land THFC!
    I am not into photo buckets etc, just PM me and we'll work something out!
    Keyboard
    Hi Keyboard, Thank you so much for your generous offer. I've been vey pre-occupied today and just retrieved this message.

I'll p/m you tomorrow, if that's OK

Goodnite
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

An apdate and a bump.

The HSBC Wills Team provided more information. The residence was leased to Alfred Digby in the early 1930's. Upon his death in 1957, the lease was transferred to his 2 spinster sisters. One sister died in 1968. The other sister remained until the early 1970's when her brother, now a widower and the 2 moved to Weymouth where they both died in the 1970's.

What I would like to know is - Who owned the house?

Colin

PS to Keyboard86 - anything new at your end? - see post #14

Keyboard86

An apdate and a bump.

The HSBC Wills Team provided more information. The residence was leased to Alfred Digby in the early 1930's. Upon his death in 1957, the lease was transferred to his 2 spinster sisters. One sister died in 1968. The other sister remained until the early 1970's when her brother, now a widower and the 2 moved to Weymouth where they both died in the 1970's.

What I would like to know is - Who owned the house?

Colin

PS to Keyboard86 - anything new at your end? - see post #14
    Hi Colin, sorry I have not replied earlier, as you know from my PM I have family to care for and at present certain illnesses are now evident.

I have not forgotten, in fact I drove passed it today (No Camera)!!

Will get back soon

Keyboard

rogtut

Just a bit of fun - if you put the address into Google maps you can take a 'virtual stroll' along Steeplestone Close.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by rogtut View Post
    Just a bit of fun - if you put the address into Google maps you can take a 'virtual stroll' along Steeplestone Close.
    Followed your suggestion. For a start, it confused me as the postal district is now Enfield, but everything including Pasteur Gardens matches, so it must be the right place. Nice looking residences but the cars parked are certainly different from those that would have been parked there between 1935 and 1968 when certain family members were in residence.

Colin

rogtut

Default Steeplestone close - Google maps

Hello Colin

It's definitely the right place - I know because I live in Enfield. I don't suppose there would have been many car owners in 1935 in the UK. Probably more by 1968 but not on the same scale as the US. Now Enfield/Edmonton is part of Greater London and is like a vast car park. That's progress!

Roger

rogtut

Sorry meant Canada not US!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast