Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondrialseagers
    As stated before, whilst we wish to research any leads we also would like first to know the maiden name of Margaret before trawling through the muster rolls etc. for Stewarts, who might not be connected to us at all.
    Generally this is a good strategy - however - if Margaret didn't marry and the children's births weren't registered and you can find no record of baptism which sheds any light on things; then you are getting to the stage where you might have to come at things from a slightly different angle and see where that leads you.

So, if you are sure that George STEWART was the brother of Letitia (he was after all only recorded as Brother in law of the head of household) then from his marriage certificate you have the name of a father and occupation - unfortunately aname which occurs frequently but at least it's a start.

In you shoes this is where I would tend to be heading, to see if any records concerning him can be located and if they then lead to a location in the West Indies where you might begin to look for records which show George, Letitia and Margaret.

One other thing you might try is looking for other STEWAR(T/D)s born in the West Indies in the census to see if any give a more specific birthplace.

Mitochondrialseagers

Hi Geoffers,

Thank you for your reply, I have already looked for any leads for George Stewart, also I have been through all the census returns for absolutely anyone born in the West Indies focusing particularly on Trinidad and Tobago. If you think of anything else that might help, that would be great! Thanks again
    Lydie

tazmania

Hi I am a descendant of Daniel Leport and have a picture of Letitia. My maiden name was Neport so I may be able to help in some way. The fact that Letitia and Daniel might not have married was very useful as I have searched extensively for the record.

Hope I can help with other Neports

junedye64

Hi Tazmania

As you have read, we haven't found the evidence yet that Margaret and Letitia were from the same family but it's quite possible.
    I'd love to see the picture of Letitia.

I'll send you a PM

June

nicolab

Default Letitia Neport/Leport/Newport/Stewart/Steward

Hi Tazmani
    Letitia would have been my maternal grandmother's gg grandmother. I would really really love to see a picture of her and I'm guessing my nan would love to too!! Soooo exciting! Just hope I'm not too late, as can see you all had this chat almost 3 years ago!
    Nicola

Mutley

Hello Nicola and welcome to the forum.

June is still an active member, I am sure she will see your post but if you want to send her a message then click on her user name and then click Private Message.

Good Luck

junedye64

Hi Nicola

I have got a photo but it is not of Letitia. We think it is a photo of Mary Ann Fells and her children, Letitia & Daniels Daughter.
    If you send me a pm with your email address, I will send it to you.

June

Jacqueline Pym

Hi I am intrigued by what I have read on this thread as a few years ago my cousin gave me the results of his research into our family tree during which he discovered that Letitia Steward from Tobago is my g.g.grandmother. It seemed then that the trail was getting cold but after reading this my passion has risen once again and I want to know all about Letitia.I would love to hear any info and to see any photographs of her and our descendants.
    I shall look forward to hearing from you.

georgiep

Hi Jacqueline, welcome to the forum. It's fantastic that you have found this link which has been around for a while.
    I wish you every success in making some contacts here.
    Georgiep

georgiep

Just to refresh 1881 census Fulham London
    Letitia as Stewart 60 wid, Henry A 32 barrister in practice
    William G 27 corresponding clerk, all born St Vincent W.Indies.

Georgiep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast