Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RobinC

Default Orphans going to Canada circa 1914

I have recently been in touch with the nephew-in-law of my great-grandfather who has said that my great-grandfather and 5 of his siblings were sent to Canada as orphans after their mother died in 1910 and their father was unable to care for them (I think the reason was active service during WWI).

I've looked on Ancestry and have found out that my great-grandfather and his brother served in the Canadian Army from 1918 onwards and that my great-grandfather returned to England with his family in 1937.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Procat

Depending on what you after FindMyPast has outward shipping lists. Canadian Passenger Lists can be found here. 1911 Canadian census can be found here.

RobinC

There seems to be a contrast in information as I had no knowledge of my great-grandfather emigrating as an orphan but it appears that he may have.

I also think that my great-grandmother was born and raised in England and her parents were from Norfolk but my relative thinks she was from Canada due to her having a strong Canadian accent. I recall my grandmother having a fairly strong accent despite only being there for 14 years in total which is the same length of time that I believe her mother was also there.

I've just looked at the passenger list search engine and don't know any of the information it asks for!

Procat

What are the details of the kids who emigrated to Canada. Do you know if they went as a group?

RobinC

The children would have been:
    Thomas William Witherell born 1897
    Alfred Richard Witherell born 1899
    Amelia Witherell born 1901
    Richard Witherell born 1902
    Ida Rosina Witherell born 1906
    James Witherell born 1908

The surname may be spelled as Witherall.

I don't know if they went as a group or individually as I wasn't aware that they were sent abroad.

Procat

There is a Thomas Witherell, Age 14, Departed 26 June 1912 on the ROYAL EDWARD from Bristol bound for Quebec, Canada, Occupation farm Labourer

Alfred Wetherell, Age 14, Departed 5 August 1913 on the TUNISIAN from Liverpool bound for Quebec, Canada, Occupation not recorded

Amelia Wetherall, Age 13, Departed 13 May 1914 on the VIRGINIAN from Liverpool bound for Quebec, Canada, Occupation not recorded

RobinC

Thank you Procat,

These results are certainly possibles for my relatives, I'll have a look at them.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This may be one of yours Robin, click here concerning Alfred Witherell b. Fullham England 1899.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

RobinC

Hi Waitabit,

I believe that to be the same Alfred Richard, I found that on Ancestry and it seems more probable with Amelia being the next of kin.

Procat,

I looked at the passenger lists again to try to find the original images for Thomas, Alfred & Anelia but can't seem to find them.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Procat,

I looked at the passenger lists again to try to find the original images for Thomas, Alfred & Anelia but can't seem to find them.
    Hi Robin,

I got the information from FindMyPast. They show nothing more than what I transcribed unfortunately.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast