Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eric.gills

Default Lark Rise To Candleford The Trilogy

I have just finished reading Flora Thompsons Trilogy as a documentary of life in the late 19th century it is a brilliant book with an insight into the attitudes and morals of the time.I only wish my great grandparents were still alive as I would have hundreds of questions I could ask them.
    Eric

Reputation beyond repute

Lark Rise To Candleford
    Here's Flora in real life

TNA Ref RG 12/1171 f 97 p 7 (Flora Timms, schedule 32)

More here...

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...read.php?25624

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by eric.gills View Post
    I have just finished reading Flora Thompsons Trilogy as a documentary of life in the late 19th century it is a brilliant book with an insight into the attitudes and morals of the time.I only wish my great grandparents were still alive as I would have hundreds of questions I could ask them.
    Eric
    Eric, I couldn't agree more. Its one of my favourite books, I've read and re read it four or five times over the years.

We didn't get the TV series here, but managed to download it. What a disappointment, I've only bothered to watch a couple of episodes.

I like the thought that my ancestors wore clothes like that. I liked it even more when I was watching something that was set in the 1830s and realised that my 3x great grandfather would have worn those clothes when he was murdered - oops sorry "feloniously killed and slayed" to use the colloquial speech of the time.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

v.wells

I think I shall have to see if our library has it or can order it in for me. I love reading books such as this! Thanks to all your reviews it looks to be a great read

JohnN

I'm glad I read the books before seeing the tv series - they're so much more believable.
    As somebody pointed out, the television series was too sanitised, everyone's clothes seemed far too clean to be authentic and while I enjoy Dawn French as a comedienne(?), it's hard to take her seriously in an historical drama!
    The stories used were rather like those in the Dr Finlay's Casebook series of the 1960s, I thought.
    Must read the books again!

spison

I can't believe this. Only last week my mother gave me this book to read as she loved it. I haven't read it yet but am now REALLY looking forward to it.
    Jane

Knowledgeable and helpful

another book you might like is one by Christine Bloxham all about Flora Thompson or Flora Timms as she was it is called
    The World of Flora Thompson and I am loving it I got it from the Library and it tells all about Flora and how she used her family and their lives to write her book Larkrise toCandleford.......in fact her family history.....
    sandie

eric.gills

Thanks Sandie and to Peter Goodey for the information and links.
    Eric

robsnicta

My husbands ancestors come from Souldern in Oxfordshire which isn't very far from where Flora Timms lived. I ordered a copy of the parish records that covered Souldern and the sourroundings and was delighted to find Flora listed for on the disk. As my husbands Surname is Atkins of which there seems to be hundreds of in that area during the 1800's he was delighted to think that some of his ancestors came from the same area as Flora.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast