Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jazz

Default MARY YUILLE (LOMAX)1825 HOLLAND

Hi

I don’t know where to go to try and find out about British Subject born in Holland.

I have the birth certificate of Ellen Alberta Lomax (15thJune 1879 Barton upon Irwell) which gives her father as Henry Lomax (which I already knew) but gives her mother as Mary Youill.

I think Henry and Mary were married Dec Q 1871 in Manchester.

Mary’s mother, also Mary, appears to have been born 1825 in Holland but British subject-from 1851 /1861/1871/1881 censuses -and possibly Andrew Youill’s 2nd wife.

Andrew Youill ? born 29 april 1807 Glasgow
    Parents ?James Youill born 1775 Glasgow and Agnes Jeffry1779 Glasgow

I am struggling because Youill has so many different spellings and I have no idea where to start with just “Mary 1825 Holland”

From 1851 census onwards Andrew Youill family based in lancashire not Glasgow
    Any suggestions welcomed over where to go next thanks

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jazz
    I have the birth certificate of Ellen Alberta Lomax (15thJune 1879 Barton upon Irwell).........which gives her gives her mother as Mary Youill.

I think Henry and Mary were married Dec Q 1871 in Manchester.
    Mary’s mother, also Mary, appears to have been born 1825 in Holland
    To give yourself the best chance of getting anywhere with this, you need a copy of the marriage certificate.

I have no idea where to start with just “Mary 1825 Holland”
    You will be really struggling to find this out without a surname.

jazz

thanks thought Id need marriage certificate then probably mary's birth certificate but then what?

Geoffers

Once you have absolutely established the link back to the census in which Mary is shown as being born in the Netherlands - e.g. 1861 census RG9/2643 f45 p13 (reference to census held at TNA), you'll see that Andrew and Mary had a daughter Jessie who was then aged 3 and born Liverpool.

There is a likely match for her in the GRO index of births

Dec 1857
    YOULL, Jessie Baine
    West Derby
    Vol. 8b Page 329

(Do double check the entry for yourself).

If this is your lass, her birth certificate will give you her mum's (Mary) maiden name.

With the maiden name you can then begin to look at sources such as the overseas births held at TNA in the RG series and now available via BMDregisters or TheGenealogist; or perhaps the army births index.

jazz

thanks thats great
    have details re Jessie Elizabeth and Mary who are on 1861 census-so when get maiden name of mum will try the sources you mentioned

Geoffers

Once you have a surname, you might try a couple of places:

BMDregisters or TheGenealogist for overseas births - they have the scanned documents from the RG series held at TNA.

If this was an army birth, try the indexes to army births (if you then find a matching entry you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

Good luck

PS - you have this thread in the Lanarkshire forum at the moment. Are you happy with that, or would you prefer it moved to another forum?

jazz

hi
    from 1841 census H0107 519 10/22 page 3, suspect Mary is Mary Mclean, Father Robert is a minister born 1796 in Ireland,and that Charles John is her twin brother.
    I agree Lanarkshire forum is not the best place now as Ireland Scotland Holland Liverpool and Manchester, would it be better to move to a more general forum and how do I do that?
    thanks for your help once again

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jazz
    I agree Lanarkshire forum is not the best place now as Ireland Scotland Holland Liverpool and Manchester, would it be better to move to a more general forum and how do I do that?
    Threads can take on a life of their own, sometimes following a family through several ares - at the moment your research in tracking Mary born Holland depends onthe marriage and birth certificates from Manchester - so for the time being I've moved the thread there for you (but it could be moved again if needed).

Moderators (I'm one) can move threads within the forums. If this does need moving elsewhere just click on my name above this message, send me a private message and I'll get it done for you.

jazz

thank you

JAP1

I guess that you have the following ...

Mary (YOUILL) LOMAX is possibly/probably the following biirth?
    Mary YOUILL, Manchester, Dec 1852, Vol 8d, Page 179

I see from the 1881 census on FamilySearch that Mary & Henry LOMAX and family are living in Cheetham.
    As are Ellen (nee YOUILL) & John GOY and family, together with mother, Mary YOUILL, Widow, 56 b Netherlands, British Subject.

Cheetham is in the Prestwich registration district where there are the following deaths:
    Andrew YOUILL, 68, Dec 1878, Prestwich, Vol 8d, Page 330
    Mary YOUILL, 56, Sep 1886, Prestwich, Vol 8d, Page 298
    (Age?)

Regards,

JAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast