Thread: The Churchman

Loves to help with queries

Default The Churchman

In Google Books I found reference to my Rev Thomas N Lucas in "The Churchman", edited details of his decease, Vol 53 Page 461 1886, March 27. Thomas was ordained in England in 1849 but died in South Carolina on 9 March 1886 following retirement from being the Rector at Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg near Charleston.

Does anyone know if "The Churchman" is/was an English or American publication and where I might get access to Vol 53 Page 461 1886? I am interested to see what the full article is about.
    Appreciate any help,
    Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Colin,
    It appears to be a "full view" book, and I can see the two paragraph article. Try this link:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=5yjn...cas%22&f=false

AdeleE,
    Thank you for the link. How are you getting "full view"? I only get the top line of a paragraph in very small print!
    Colin

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
    How are you getting "full view"?
    Adele is in Canada. You and I are in Britain. See various newspaper articles in the heavies about Google and copyright.

Have you got access to a suitable proxy?

The Rev. Thomas N. Lucas, whose decease was announced in The Churchman of March 27. was a graduate of Peter House, Cambridge, and was ordained to the ministry by Bishop Kaye of Lincoln. After serving as a curate most acceptably, be and his wife followed to America Mrs. Henry Ewbank, hi* sister, who had settled in the Diocese of South Carolina. Though a ripe scholar, it is noticeable that his first work in this country wan among the colored people of Claremont parish, to the rectorship of which he was subsequently called, and there, amid the ruins of that once prosperous parish, he ministered to the remnant, until the departure "in the Lord" of his beloved wife. Thereupon, he removed to Greenville County, and used what strength remained to him in furthering the interests of a little chapel under the shadow of the Carolina mountains. m

The filling up of this brief outline would present the picture of a self-renouncing Christian, sensitive and retiring, never wavering in loyalty to "Christ and His Church." of a man of marked individuality, who " endured hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ," from the heart believing that " be that loseth his life for My sake shall find it." When, in the seventieth year of His pilgrimage, the Master came and called him, gladly did he respond, " Kveu so, come. Lord Jesus." In a quiet resting-place in Claremont bis friends will muse over the " Deversorturn viatoris, Hierosolyma proficientis." R.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Adele is in Canada. You and I are in Britain. See various newspaper articles in the heavies about Google and copyright.
    That's very interesting Peter. I'd heard but hadn't done any in-depth reading about what the copyright issues actually meant to users of Google Books.

Peter,
    I don't have access to a suitable proxy, what exactly is it?
    Thank you for the text from The Churchman.

Reputation beyond repute

Adele - I don't pretend to understand the issues .

Colin - If you're stuck let me know your email and I'll send you an image of the original page as a PDF.

Peter,
    I am at colin AT cwsparkinson DOT co DOT uk
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 09-02-2010 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Email address edited to deter the spammers

Reputation beyond repute

Oops. I really meant 'let me know in private'. Anyway, I've got it now and am just about to send you the page. Please shout if it doesn't turn up.