barbz

Default Seem to have lost him!

Any ideas of where to go, or what I'm not doing right??
    I can't find my g-grandfather John Green prior to the 1861 Census and can't seem to find any reference to my g-g-grandfather John Green (his father) at all! I've managed to find his mother and sister on the 1851 census, and think at that time he may have been training for his job or in the process of moving to Deal where he shows as working as a chemist and living with his sister in the 1861 census.
    So far I have -
    Born 1832, Rothwell, Northants
    Sister, Mary A. Green, born 1833, Rothwell Northants
    Mother, Mary A. Green (nee ??), born 1802 Tallington, Lincs (Widow in 1851 census)
    Father, John Green, born ??, place of birth ??, occupation hotel keeper
    I was using a pay as you go search but have now subscribed in the hopes that more searches would bring up the missing pieces, well it has helped with other branches of the family, but not this. All my searches bring John and Mary Green with sons John and William, so am thinking maybe they moved to Rothwell rather than lived their all their lives. I've tried searching using Lincolnshire as the senior John's place of birth also Deal as there seems to be some connection there (not sure what yet??)
    Any ideas of what I could do to track down the older John Green??

mariapbf

Hi Barbz

Found a family on the 1851 census in Rothwell: -

Father John aged 44, ag. Lab. Born North (something) Rowell (?)
    Mother Mary Ann aged 47, POB Burton
    Son John 18 born Rothwell
    Son William 14 born Rothwell

Will see if I can get them any further back.

Best wishes

Maria

mariapbf

Hi Barbz

Same family on 1841?

John and Mary Ann both aged 40, John an ag lab, John 8, William 4 all born in county. No sign of daughter though

Best wishes

Maria

barbz

Thanks Maria
    These are the family that keep coming up for me, but none of the details seem to match what I already have, I wondered if I had made a mistake and these were my ancestors, but I have already been able to verify that Mary (the mother) came from Tallington, Lincs, and later on when John (the son) gets married in Deal, Mary (the daughter) moves back to Lincs to live with her cousin. I can't find a reference to a William ever being in the family, and on John's (the son) marriage cert it said his father was a hotel keeper. ...oh I wish I used to have an unusual surname!!!

mariapbf

Sorry found Mary A aged 18 on 1851 now as you said with mother Mary Ann.

Not sure if you have this but found on 1881 census Mary Ann Green aged 48 born c. 1833 Rothwell, Notts, annuitant with cousins John & Sarah Watts in Uffington, Lincs.

Also with them in 1871 unmarried annuitant together with Arthur N Green aged 7 born Husbands Bosworth (?).

Best wishes

Maria

mariapbf

Hi Barbz

I know what you mean - but I have to say when I started my family tree I thought my paternal line of GOATER would be an unusual name and easy to trace - ha, ha!! There are more of them than I thought and they had no imagination when it came to naming their children!!

Best wishes

Maria

barbz

Quote Originally Posted by mariapbf View Post
    Sorry found Mary A aged 18 on 1851 now as you said with mother Mary Ann.

Not sure if you have this but found on 1881 census Mary Ann Green aged 48 born c. 1833 Rothwell, Notts, annuitant with cousins John & Sarah Watts in Uffington, Lincs.

Also with them in 1871 unmarried annuitant together with Arthur N Green aged 7 born Husbands Bosworth (?).

Best wishes

Maria
    This entry I found too and thought it really curious, where did Arthur N. come from? I did wonder if she moved away because of maybe an illegitimate child, but think I'm starting to get a bit over-imaginative as was also starting to wonder if she started off life as William and then became a Mary!
    It's amazing what you do find out when you start this, like you mentioned your name, I would have thought that would be an easier one than Green. I also thought since my Dad was one of three his tree would be relatively simple, but have only been doing it a month, gone back to 1800 on some of the lines and 1700 on another, and have about 200 people already on the tree!
    Thanks for looking up for me Maria!