Tamara

Default Passenger List Abbreviation

Hello,

My 2x great grandmother emigrated to Canada in Nov/1906. On the Canadian passenger list heading "Married or Single" it states "BN" or maybe "BW". Her husband passed away in England 1 month later. Would anyone happen to know what this abbreviation might stand for. I have searched the boards, but I haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Warm regards

Tamara in Canada

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could you give us her name so that we can look at the image? The meaning of the initials can sometimes be clearer if seen in context with the rest of the page.

Geoffers

See Adele's reply above; as someone who can access the records may be able to give a definitive reply, but............

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    "Married or Single" it states "BN" or maybe "BW".
    If the second letter is not clear, could the first letter actually be 'S' - which might then be SW - singlewoman?

Just a thought.

Tamara

Her name is Eliza Kitchen, and she shows as being 65 years old. She arrived in Canada on 6 Nov 1906 on the ship "Lake Erie". It departed from Liverpool and arrived in Montreal, Quebec.

Thank you for replying,

Tamara

Tamara

I am sure the first letter is a "B", and I have searched most of the list to compare it to others, but there isn't another abbreviation like this one.

Thank you!
    Tamara

Brick wall demolition expert!

She has 23 year old Sarah Kitchen with her...

These are notations made by immigration on arrival in Canada. I don't think the notation has anything to do with marital status. Other words that seem to refer to her include "3 sons" "may be a domestic", 2 four letter words that are totally illegible, "BW" , and "RR Fireman" I can't read what is written under "RR Fireman" I'm even wondering if all the notations refer to her or whether this is a carbon imprint from a previous sheet.
    Do any of these other notations describe the family?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Her name is Eliza Kitchen, and she shows as being 65 years old. She arrived in Canada on 6 Nov 1906 on the ship "Lake Erie". It departed from Liverpool and arrived in Montreal, Quebec.
    Looking at this from the other end, the ship's passenger list (BT27/504 - reference to document held by TNA) shows that they departed Liverpool on 23rd Oct 1906 - Eliza KICHEN, wife, 65 yrs of age - Sarah KITCHEN, 23 yr old domestic - both English.

Peter_uk_can

I am with Adele on this. The writing is not the same as that used to create the log. Perhaps BW or was the person who wrote the note.

If so, the same writing could appear on other lists.

I had a chuckle at the "Going To Husband" rubber stamp..... I guess it must have happened a lot.

Tamara

Yes, these notations do describe her family. One of her sons was a fireman with the railroad, and the other was a boilermaker. So, these notations do belong to her.

Tamara

Thanks to everyone for their help with this. You are probably correct in saying that these notations were made by immigration once she got here.

Warm regards,

Tamara