Stephen Evans

Default William Moore 1861-71

Hi All,

I have been having trouble finding a death for a William Moore, a Baker who lived in Wallingford, although in the 1861 Census, I have him living at his fathers residence in Reading, a John Merryman Moore.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

stevenpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Evans View Post
    Hi All,

I have been having trouble finding a death for a William Moore, a Baker who lived in Wallingford, although in the 1861 Census, I have him living at his fathers residence in Reading, a John Merryman Moore.

Any help would be great.

Cheers
    Hi,

In the 1891 Census he is aged 66, still a Baker, and boarding with the Smith Family in the 'Bell & Shoulder of Mutton' public house in Kingsbury Street Marlborough. His birth year is listed as 1825 but his place of birth is shown as Chawton in the 1861 census and Chalton in the 1891 census. An easy mistake for an enumerator, and both villages are not many miles apart.

Assuming this is your William Moore, there are two possible deaths for Hampshire and none for Berkshire using the search criteria of 1901 +/- 10 years:

William Moore
    2c/ 111

and

William Moore
    2b/335

There is a third death but he appears to have died before the census was taken in 1891.

Hope this helps

Steve
    Last edited by Mutley; 29-01-2010 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Information was copied and pasted. Please read AUP

Stephen Evans

Thanks for that Steve, I had seen the Marlborough census, but his son also a John Merryman Moore married a Fanny Jane Repington in Bow, London, in 1889, but on the certificate it reads his father William Moore as diseased ?
    Many thanks again.

stevenpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Evans View Post
    Thanks for that Steve, I had seen the Marlborough census, but his son also a John Merryman Moore married a Fanny Jane Repington in Bow, London, in 1889, but on the certificate it reads his father William Moore as diseased ?
    Many thanks again.
    Hi Stephen, Did you mean Deceased or Diseased. Deceased I can understand but Diseased could simply mean that he was dying.

stevenpenny

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, I got 'timed-out' on the previous post.....

You never mentioned a marriage in the OP; have you found him living with a wife; or is it possible that either the John who married Fanny is not his Son; or that his parents never married and the Son was too proud to admit he was illegitimate? The reason I ask is that I cannot find a marriage record for a William Moore with in the righ timeframe.

Is he perhaps the same William Moore who was aquitted of Larceny at the Berkshire Assize in 1842?

Steve

Stephen Evans

Thanks again for your help Steve, but I think I may have found his death at 49 in 1869, Reading, Berkshire.

Cheers