Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djamb

Default NANGLE family of DUBLIN

Hello All

Am trying to trace my paternal (step)grandfathers family and wonder if anyone can put me on the right track at all. I would be most grateful if they could.

GEORGE NANGLE born c 1908-1911 father JOSEPH NANGLE.

The reason I am posting this on the Dublin forum is that my Dad can remember that his Mum and Step Dad after their wedding in YORK Dec 1936 remembers the couple going to Dublin to meet/visit his parents as they lived there as a kind of honeymoon and he was very niffed as they never took him!

Where would be the best place to start tracking this family in Dublin around that time?

Many thanks

Debs

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,i have looked at the 1911 census for ireland,,,,which is free to look at....i cannot see a george nangle,,,,there are three results for a joseph nangle in dublin....have you looked at this ?

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Hils Hoppo

There's a Joseph Nangle living No. 9.3 Martin's Row Old Kilmainham aged 40 a Gardener on the 1911 Dublin census with wife Jane and children - Elizabeth 13 Thomas 7 Henrietta 4 and Kathleen 1. No mention of a George but he may have been born just after the census was taken. I have lots of info on Old Kilmainham as my Grandma came from there, so let me know if you want to know anything else.

obbie

george nangle born 1911 . april-july 1911 dublin south volume 2 page 594 .
    thats what you need to get birth cert from roscommon GRO office record will cost 4 euros .
    as census was2 april 1911 he wasnt born yet .
    as other poster said , pas probaly joseph 40 ma jane 39 livin martins row full census is free to look at

obbie

goin by joes age 40 .
    joseph nangle 1870 birth dublin south volume 17 page 616 .
    looks like he was named after his brothe joseph born 1866 died 1866

i looked for joes marriage
    1892 dublin south marriage volume 2 page 631
    tried to cross ref with jane byrne no go either she married under different first name or shes not james byrnes brother

obbie

have a look at www.dublinheritage.ie site for electoral lists 1939 lots nangle (dont put in first name) there 3 at martins tce .
    dubliners moved around a lot so no guarntee there family .

obbie

how lucky you are to research a name like nangle .
    joseph born 21 nov 1870 to william and elizabeth keegan
    joe (who died same year) 5 april 1867 same parents
    william 5 april 1867 same parents . 3 records on www.familysearch.org
    william nangle and elizabeth keegan married .
    marriage 1865 dublin north vol 2 page 711 . names cross match

obbie

as william and elizabeth married 1865 i looked at swords historical society web site and sure enough there marriage record is there for 1865 both names match . this should give you there fathers names and occupations and addresses .
    also joe 1867 who died his birth is there with dads name as ref .

THIS is a pay as you go web site 5 euros each .
    but the GRO cert is gonna cost 4 euros and you could be waiting for some time .

i dont know how much you know about any of the web sites ive mentioned but if you have any questions on them i or someone else will gladly help .

please let us know how you get on and we will try get you back another wee bit . regards . rob

djamb

Oh my goodness!

So much information from you all- its much appreciated!

gortonboy & Hils Hoppo - this sounds really promising and if its ok and works out correct I may be back in touch with you Hils Hoppo to track Georges family down even more(as I can't find Georges death over in England- and my Dad says very little about George so it makes me wonder if he went back to Dublin at some point, mystery no 5 or 6 in my family list!......hmmmm)

Obbie - Wow! I can't believe how much poss info you have found - I did not realise that Nangle was such a "lucky" surname to research but I suppose it could be seen as a little more easy to trace than some other Irish surnames!

The two irish websites - no had not come acros those and it looks like I may be visiting them so thank you for suggesting them - if fruitful I shall let you know-

You are all stars - thank you for taking the time and trouble to help me on my quest -looks like I have some homework to complete!

I will be back

Debs

djamb

Hello again

Ok so I bought the marriage cert for William Nangle & Elizabeth Keegan....
    details as follows

Date of Marriage: 17/01/1865
    Parish / District: BALDOYLE County: Co. Dublin

Name: William Nangle father Christopher

Name: Elizabeth Keegan father John
    Address: both of Howth

Witness 1 Hugo McKenna

Witness 2 Esther Rourke

This being my first Irish cert(awww)- not giving the denominations or fathers occupations or mothers details is this because it is a copy of a church or civil reg?

Regards
    Debs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast