Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carolyn28

Question Dursley Glouc. England workhouse

I have ancestors in the Dursley workhouse in the 1841 census Dursley, Gloucestershire England

Joseph Hart/abt 5
    James Hart/abt 7
    Mary Hart/abt 30

I have never heard of them since. Is there a death record or a release or anything that would have tracked them to where they went or if they died???

I know that their father was in prison at this time.

Regards
    Carolyn28

Jan1954

Hello Carolyn,

If you visit the Workhouse website (workhouses.org.uk/ - put www. in front) and enter Dursley into the sarch box, it will tell you about the workhouse.

According to the website, the Gloucester Archives have the Guardians' minutes from 1836 to 1933. There may be something mentioned therein about them.

SBSFamilyhistory

I can only find a possible death for Joseph in Dursley 1847 June Q v 11 p 250 there is nothing for James or Mary.

You say that his father/her husband was in prison. Do you know when he was released and where they came from prior to his imprisionment?

janbooth

Default HART family

According to the actual census image James HART was aged 9 and not born in the county of Gloucestershire although Joseph & Mary were.

What was the name of Mary's husband?? It might help us trace where James was born/baptised.

Janet

Carolyn28

Default Dursley Workhouse

Hi
    James Hart was chr in the Independent Non conformist church 12 Dec 1831 Kingswood at that time under the jurisdiction of Wiltshire.

*Note this is Kingswood nr Wooton underedge and was under the jurisdiction of Wiltshire and then Gloucestershire. It is situated in Gloucestershire nr Wooton underedge.

Joseph was chr in the Independent Non conformist church 18 May 1836 Kingswood probably at that time it could have been under the jurisdiction of Gloucestershire rather than Wiltshire.

Mary, could be an aunt to these boys. She would be a step sister of their father Stephen Hart. She was probably born in Westbury Wiltshire England. I don't think she was married. She would be age 30. Her parents would be Stephen Hart and Mary Spencer.

It is possible she isn't related. Stephen's wife Elizabeth died in 1838 and I though perhaps she went to live with Stephen's young children. when they were put in the workhouse she wouldn't have had a place to live either.....(that is not a fact)....

Stephen was tried 3 Mar 1841 a 6 month sentence.

There were three older children and one younger one.

Ann was 20 in Bristol (1841 census)
    John
    Samuel Cornelius...I can't find either of these boys in the 1841 census...
    David was between James and Joseph and may have died? or living elsewhere??

Thank you
    Carolyn28

janbooth

Default HART family

Hello again Carolyn,

So presumably I have the correct marriage at Kingswood on 20 February 1814 by banns between Stephen HART & Elizabeth HOLLISTER (Gloucestershire Marriage Index).

According to my Gloucestershire Baptismal Index 1813-37, there are the following baptisms at Kingswood nr Wotton to a Stephen & Elizabeth HART, Clothworker:

3 August 1815 Cornelius HART
    13 January 1822 John HART
    14 March 1824 James HART
    29 October 1826 Caroline HART
    8 June 1828 Samuel HART

Will have a look to see if I can find any of them on the census records.

Janet