Thread: Fudgist?

Jane Elderfield

Default Fudgist?

On the 1901 census of West Ham, Essex,
    RG 13, piece 1616, folio 5, page 2,
    in Leyton (household number and address not visible),
    is one Henry Leverett, whose occupation is "Fudgist Compositor".

The handwriting is very clear, although what I'm interpreting as g is a little strange. I invite any members to corroborate (or disprove) my reading.

If indeed FUDGIST, what a remarkable occupation! My guess is that he is the print-man at the newspaper, who does the last-minute "fudging" of the articles to fit in a late-breaking news story on the already-composed page.

Does anyone else know?

--Jane E

AnnB

Hello Jane

I agree that Henry Leverett is a Fudgist Compositor (see the 'g' in Engineer on the top line) - but I have no idea what it means! I've looked at several sites with printing terms (just search for glossary of print terms) but it doesn't appear to be mentioned

Best wishes
    Ann

Brick wall demolition expert!

From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (well, probably new in the 1940's)

Fudge:

A patch of print, as of colored print, or an insertion of late matter, in a newspaper page; also a machine or cylinder for printing such patches

Perhaps this is where we get the term "to fudge", exactly as Jane suggested?
    Last edited by AdeleE; 06-01-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    or an insertion of late matter, in a newspaper page ... Perhaps this is where we get the term "to fudge", exactly as Jane suggested?
    Exactly so. Slightly less scientific, but when hot-metal printing was used for newspapers, if a typographical error was found as the paper was being rushed to press, it was not unknown to drop a hammer or other heavy object onto the offending error to "fudge" it, to save resetting the type

Kerrywood

usernick

Maybe this provides an answer?

Cheers,

Nick

Jane Elderfield

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (well, probably new in the 1940's)

Fudge:

A patch of print, as of colored print, or an insertion of late matter, in a newspaper page; also a machine or cylinder for printing such patches ....
    I consulted several old dictionaries, and they all gave versions of Fudge and Fudging as printing terms, applied to insertions or corrections.

Then apparently later, the word was applied to botched-up or mixed-up work (well, I imagine some of those last-minute fudges were a bit botched), and only later to the delicious mix-up of chocolate, sugar, nuts etc. that we now know as FUDGE.

Thanks to all for the responses.
    Drooling a bit at the idea of chocolate fudge--
    --Jane E