SBSFamilyhistory

Default documents at TNA

Hi in the want of an agriculture or government thread, either of which would have fitted the bill.

I have found that a relative of mine was the chair of the Agricultural Land Commission and the Welsh Sub-Commission. Daft question, but I know there are copies of documents that relate to him and this committee on TNA, but without going there how would I obtain copies and would they charge apart from perhaps copy fees and P&P.

thanks in advance

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    I have found that a relative of mine was the chair of the Agricultural Land Commission and the Welsh Sub-Commission. Daft question, but I know there are copies of documents that relate to him and this committee on TNA, but without going there how would I obtain copies and would they charge apart from perhaps copy fees and P&P.
    TNA's reprographics service is undergoing redevelopment. Details of what is currently being offered are here.

Basically, if you can identify individual items in the catalogue by piece number, you can ask TNA to estimate for sending you copies of each. Any additional "research" is charged at £15 per 15 minutes. They will inform you whether that applies if/when they estimate.

Kerrywood

Knowledgeable and helpful

Try to find out if anything is actually written on the pages!!
    I have just downloaded what was supposed to be 9 pages on an anscestor
    5 of these pages were blank the other 4 were copies of each other there was actually 2 pages with no other info than his name and date of birth what I had already just from the free search.............I know it was only £3.50 which I can afford but it was a waste of money really and I did feel a bit cheated ........
    sandie

SBSFamilyhistory

thanks both

Kerrywood I have the page references so they should be able to find them for me..fingers crossed.

Sandie gosh what a rip off. If I were you I would complain.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    I have the page references so they should be able to find them for me
    Do note their statement

we will not search:
    * within any document for an individual, unless the catalogue description indicates that the file is for that particular person only

But I guess it doesn't cost to ask

Kerrywood

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep View Post
    Try to find out if anything is actually written on the pages!!
    I have just downloaded what was supposed to be 9 pages on an anscestor
    5 of these pages were blank the other 4 were copies of each other there was actually 2 pages with no other info than his name and date of birth what I had already just from the free search.............I know it was only £3.50 which I can afford but it was a waste of money really and I did feel a bit cheated ........
    sandie
    Presumably this was from Documents Online, which is not the same as the reprographics service referred to above, but a rip-off nevertheless!

If the catalogue description is actually misleading as regards the contents of the document, then it is probably worth pointing that out in a complaint, and you might get a refund. But if the description is essentially correct, there's probably not much point -- though again it doesn't cost to ask.

Kerrywood

SBSFamilyhistory

thanks I will contact them

watch this space for their response.

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep View Post
    I know it was only £3.50...I did feel a bit cheated
    Are you sure it wasn't a flat rate £3.50 (whether there were two pages or nine)?

SBSFamilyhistory

That is probably so, Peter, but when it says 9 pages I would not expect to have so many blank pages or duplicates...

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Yes it was documents online..........have emailed them just to say I was dissappointed, and if it had said 2 pages I would still have bought........and accepted bad luck no info it was the fact of 5 blank pages I was a bit peeved about.

sandie