pippycat

Default 3 occupations:Cork/Franchise/Toilet Glasses

FRANCHISE MAN: Liverpool 1888 info from Joseph O'Connor M/cert.
    I have no idea what this is, even after searching web.

CORK CUTTER/MAKER: liverpool 1917 info from James Cullen M/Cert.
    The only ref I can find relating to this is via Sue's sticky at top of forum - cutting and preparing imported raw cork bark from Portugal, BUT as I can't find info elsewhere, is there any significance that this comes from a Scotland site?

FITTER UP FOR TOILET GLASSES: I am saying nothing!!
    Manchester, 1881 census, George Connor (RG11/P3998/F25/Pg13)

Imagination is a wonderful thing but when the laughter faded I thought this could be replacing the glass in the door or window rather than anything else!

My forebears obviously had some odd occupations, info on any of them would be most welcome.

AnnB

I see in the 1871 census (RG10/4047 Folio 58 page 3 - record held by TNA, Crown Copyright) that George Connor was a wood turner and his son, also George, was a looking glass maker.

I would suspect that George senior made the frames for mirrors (or looking glasses) which were called "toilet glasses", which we now know as those swivel mirrors used on dressing tables.

Best wishes
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    FITTER UP FOR TOILET GLASSES: I am saying nothing!!
    Manchester, 1881 census, George Connor (RG11/P3998/F25/Pg13)
    I would take this to be someone who provided dressing table mirrors. In the 19th century a lady would sit and "do her toilet" - what my mother-in-law calls "putting her face on"
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pippycat

Smile

Of course! it makes sense now (not as mysterious as I was thinking then!) I presume it means that George would have served some sort of apprenticeship in wood, so I shall go in that direction too. Thank you Sue and Ann for such rapid replies, very helpful.

Reputation beyond repute

A cork cutter cut corks for bottles. I can confirm Sue's translation of toilet glass as dressing table mirror. I really would recommend the online information services that your borough library service subscribes to

pippycat

OK, thanks a lot Peter, will give it a try!