Brock

Question Ambulance driving in wartime England.

I wonder whether ayone can enlighten me please....
    Was being an ambulance driver in England during the war one of the professions that was considered important enough to make a person exempt from enlisting?

Thanks,
    Brock.

Hi Brock
    I can not see any mention of ambulance driver on Wikipedia. What makes you think that it could be?

Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Was being an ambulance driver in England during the war one of the professions that was considered important enough to make a person exempt from enlisting?

Thanks,
    Brock.

My Uncle was exempt as he was a coalman and thats probably less important than an ambulance driver but I really don't know

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

My late Father was a HGV driver during the war period carrying bombs (without the fuses) this was classed as a reserved occupation. I have always assumed that as he drove HGV's before the war this was the reason. However, he did have to contribute to the war effort this he did by joining the Special Constabulary.His other four brothers who were slightly younger than him were all called up. Perhaps your relative was an ambulance driver before the outbreak of the war.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Brock
    As others have mentioned, it doesn't appear in the list of reserved occupations; the schedule of these occupations was revised during the war.

Searching TNA's web-site for reserved occupations brings back a number of hits, including various Cabinet Paper documents which can be downloaded for free.

One such document CAB24/280 drawn up in 1938 in preparation for possible war, part of the document is a booklet "National Service. A guide to the ways in which the people of this country may give service". It includes:

"Ambulance Drivers and Attendants
    Drivers and attendants are wanted for the fleet of specially equipped peace-time ambulances and for the large number of motor vans and coaches which would be adapted in war-time and fo cars and light vans which would be used for sitting cases.

Qualifications: Mostly women but some men are needed. The age limits for women are 18 to 50 and men 30 to 50...................."

Brock

Thank you all for your very kind help on this subject.
    I have an ancestor who was an ambulance driver & hospital porter during the war & as he did this & did not serve in the forces I wondered whether it was due to being what was classed as a reserved occupation. Other family members were serving soldiers & I wondered why their brother didn't follow suit.
    Thank you for your help ~ It is much appreciated.

Brock.

Geoffers

One other thing to consider, which I forget before, is age. Was your chap of an age where he could be called up, or was he too old? Someone too old may well have been left doing what was a useful job in wartime. Or did he suffer from medical condition which prevented him serving in the armed forces? Anyone in the family remember what he did in WW2, r does anyon ehave any old photos?

Brock

Sorry, it would have been sensible for me to give his time of birth in the first instance as you would then have realised that it relates him to WWI ~ he would have been 41 at the outbreak of the first world war in which he was an ambulance driver. As to health problems, I'm afraid that I have no idea whether he was a fit man or not at this stage of his life. The only family members who remember anything about him at all can only remember that he was an ambulance driver who suffered ill health in his later years of life.

Brock.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Brock
    Sorry, it would have been sensible for me to give his time of birth in the first instance as you would then have realised that it relates him to WWI ~ he would have been 41 at the outbreak of the first world war in which he was an ambulance driver.
    So WW1 rather than WW2 - it makes a difference - don't forget there was no conscription at the start of WW1; by the time it began in 1916, he would then have been nearing 43 and over-age (conscription was for males aged 18-41).

Brock

Geoffers, your help has been invaluable ~ thank you so much.

Brock.