pteverett001

Default William Darby - Beccles

I am fairly new to researching my family tree and have found my Great x 4 Grandfather William Darby is shown in the 1851 census as a Waterman in Beccles, Suffolk (although born in Bungay). Someone mentioned he may have been the master of a Wherry called Emmet but I don't know where that info comes from.

Does anyone have guidance on if there is any more info I can find out about him and what watermen in Beccles did.

Thanks

Paul

Jan1954

Hello Paul - welcome to Brit-Gen

Now, although Beccles is in Suffolk, the River Waveney upon which it stands, has northern banks which stretch into Norfolk. There is a Public House in Beccles that was called the Waterman's Arms on the corner of Fen Lane and Northgate (now called the Quayside Bar), thus showing that watermen were an important occupation in the town.

I would suggest that you contact the Suffolk Family History Society (suffolkfhs.co.uk/ - put www. in front) to see what they can help with.

One place to earmark for the Spring (it does not open again until April) is the Beccles Museum. I expect that they would also have a lot about watermen.

Good luck!

Geoffers

Welcome to B-G forums.

See Jan's reply above, also

If you don't know what a wherry looks like. Use a search engine to look for 'Norfolk Wherry Trust - Albion' - there is a photo album on the site.

You might also try the Picture Norfolk site and simply enter 'wherry'. The images shown can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Wherry owners often bequeathed their interest in these vessels, it may be worth hunting for a will. As your family came from Bungay/Beccles; try using Norfolk Sources click on probate and then search on the surname, there are some entries for the name in Bungay (William DARBY, publican). Click on the thumbnail of the will to enlarge it, the will can be saved to your hard drive - and for free. The probate records online via this service only cover 1800-1857; but more may be catalogued, try using NROCAT (Norfolk Record Office Catalogue) or NOAH (Norfolk Online Access to Heritage).

Suffolk wills are on the Norfolk site because they come within the diocese of Norfolk and pre-1858 wills were subject to probate by ecclesiastical courts.