Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Default Fanny Annie Newberry

FANNY ANNIE NEWBERRY was born c1871 in Ickleford, Herts (father FREDERICK THOMAS NEWBERRY, mother MARY ABIGAIL BENNISON). Her mother dies and FRED marries twice more.

I think I have her in 1881 and then she disappears.

She possibly married HARRY WILLIAM BAGGOTT or HENRY MOSES LEWIS in 1891.

I cannot find her on the 1891, 1901, & 1911. I have considered that she or her husband might have died.

Her father Frederick is on the 1911 census at RG14PN7190 RG78PN352 RD131 SD3 ED32 SN386. He is only shown by his initials but some of his children fit. But there are others who are a mystery.

His wife is shown as having 11 children of the marriage, and 10 living. There are 7 children on the 1911 census record, in this order:

G (male) aged 21 - probably George (on the 1901)
    MAY aged 6
    MARY aged 4
    JOE aged aged 14 (NOT on 1901) (might be JOSEPH or JOSIAH, both family names)
    RUBEN aged 12 (NOT on 1901)
    ARTHUR aged 17 (NOT on 1901)
    F THOMAS aged 27 (FREDERICK THOMAS & on the 1901)

There are 4 children on the 1901, who do not appear on the 1911, including one who has died, so the maths work out OK.

But I cannot find birth registrations for MAY, MARY, JOE, RUBEN, and ARTHUR as NEWBERRY, the girls being born in New Southgate and the boys in East Finchley.

The 3 boys should be on the 1901 but I can't find them.

So I wondered if some of them were Fanny's children, and had been taken in by their grandfather.

I seem to be going round in circles. Can anyone help with finding birth regs for them, or Fanny on the later censuses please?

SBSFamilyhistory

to check if I have the correct person. Is it possible she was living with her her Father shown as Thomas F Rowbewrry and her Grandfather Josiah Rowberry

they are shown as living in Ickleford, Hertford, England

Sue

Yes, that is them in 1881.

Frederick Thomas has swopped his names on this occasion!

Mutley

Karen please can I just confirm Fanny's birth place?
    The only one that pops up is Fanny Annie Newberry registered in June 1871 in Islington, Middlesex.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Newman View Post
    FANNY ANNIE NEWBERRY was born c1871 in Ickleford, Herts (father FREDERICK THOMAS NEWBERRY, mother MARY ABIGAIL BENNISON).
    May help us find her in later census records. The 1881 census records that she was born in London.

Name: Fanny Annie Newberry
    Year: 1871
    Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    District: Islington
    Volume: 1b
    Page: 271

Mutley

There is a birth registration for a Reuben Newbury in Barnet Herts/Middlesex in March 1902. If him, it explains why he is not on the 1901.

Could be he married in Barnet in June qrt of 1937 to Emily K Mitchell.
    3a/1576

though there is also a 1920 marriage in Camberwell to Ellen G Hendry and a death in Southwark in 1951.

Cannot find a Rueben Newberry

I am ashamed to admit that I might have boobed on this one. I am not sure why I thought Fred was her father.

In 1881, Fanny is with her grandfather and shown as born in Ickleford.

Frederick's first wife died in 1874, and he remarried SOPHIA SIMKINS LARMAN in 1876 (IGI). She dies in 1879, and Fred does not remarry until 1884.

He is in Isington in 1871 with first wife, Mary Abigail. They have a son, who is baptised in Ickleford in 1874. He dies as an infant.

I have not sent for the cert for the 1871 Islington birth. I think I assumed this was the Fanny A on th 1881 census, and that, because Fred was there, that he was her father. Especially as it looks like she was registered in Islington, where Fred was in 1871.

I am hanging my head as I type.

In mitigation, a relative, who has a tree on A*****y, has her with the same parents, a specific date of birth and the address at which Fred and Mary Abigail are at in 1871.

I think I took this as confirming my suspicion that she was Fred's daughter.

So, it looks like she was born in Islington.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The four people in this marriage registration grouping:

Year: 1891
    Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    District: Edmonton
    Volume: 3a
    Page: 466

Harry William Baggett
    Mary Maria Bowen
    Henry Moses Lewis
    Fanny Annie Newberry

According to the 1901 census (RG13; Piece: 1260; Folio: 120; Page: 7 copyright TNA), Henry Moses Lewis is with second wife Mary M.

so that leaves Fanny Annie Newberry marrying Harry William Baggett.

Mutley

There is also a birth registration for May Newbury in Barnet in June 1905

Mutley

There is a baptism for Mary Newberry on 24 March 1905 at St James the Great, Barnet
    Parents are Frederick Thomas and Sarah Lydia. (Who was the 3rd wife?)

Fred was a labourer and they lived at Lime Tree Terrace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast