Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sylvia Anne

Default Louis Winton Born France 1814

My Louis was born in France at Bouen on the Alps in the South of France on 14/2/1814 according to the family Bible but is a British Subject according to his marraige cert, his childrens birth certs and some census. The GRO in England says there is no certificate for him there to try France. We have no idea why the family was in France at that time but just in case we have had a researcher try all the births of children born overseas while the father was in one of the forces but with no luck there either. We know his fathers name was John but do not know his mothers name or if there were any other children. The different UK census have him born both in the UK and in France and his death certificate has him born around 1823 but does not say where he was born. He married in London in 1844. We have not been able to find a town called Bouen.
    Any suggestions would be greatly received. Sylvia in Australia.

Jan1954

Hello Sylvia - welcome to Brit-Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia Anne View Post
    The GRO in England says there is no certificate for him there to try France.
    There will not be in England - registration did not start until 1837.
    We have not been able to find a town called Bouen.
    My first thought that this might have been Rouen, but that is nowhere near the Alps. What is the source of your information, please?

Could it have been Bourg?

jeeb

Hi Sylvia,

A couple of things here, first he is 25 in 1841 so is unlikely to have been born in 1823 where ages are rounded down.
    Louis is a French name which suggests his mother was probably French. Does the family Bible give no clues to her name?

Jeremy

Reputation beyond repute

He married in London in 1844
    Can you please provide the details. I can't see a likely marriage in the indexes.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Can you please provide the details. I can't see a likely marriage in the indexes.
    I've found it now. 26 Aug 1844 at St Bride Fleet Street. Name listed and signed as Lewis not Louis

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Per FreeBMD, Lewis WINTER ~ Mary KEYWORTH Sep Qtr 1844 West London.

Per Ancestry, Leneis WINTER at St Bride's (26 Aug 1844). Clearly written Lewis WINTEN.

Kerrywood

Lizzy9

We have not been able to find a town called Bouen.
    Any suggestions would be greatly received. Sylvia in Australia.
    Possibly, Beaune?

Wilkes_ml

There is a Bion (not sure where in France) but the Parish of Bion (Saint - Pierre) Catholic Register images are on FamilySearch website and appear to cover the time frame.1804-1814. 1816-1817 1820-1880. may be in French though!

Wilkes_ml

Also Bouillon and Brouains - I'm not sure what the records consist of but may be worth a browse at https://pilot.familysearch.org/record...allCollections

JAP1

Strange that his birthplace was twice recorded in censuses as Cambridgeshire and twice as France ...
    Surname always WINTON

1841 - Louis, 25, N (i.e. born in England but not in the county - Cambridgeshire)
    1851 - Lewis, 36, France (British Subject)
    1861 - Louis, 44, Cambridge
    1871 - Lewis, 56, Cambridge Neadenworth (sic - presumably meant to be Needingworth)
    1881 - Lewis, 67, France B.S.

This is probably a complete red herring but in 1851 there is a John WINTON, 68, born Cambridge living in the same district as Lewis - Westminster St John the Evangelist, Middlesex.
    HO107/ Piece 1479/ Folio 574/ Page 43

JAP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast