Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    cariadfach

Default Can't find marriage Record

I am stuck. I can't find a marriage record for Blanche and Horace Jackson. They eventually settled and lived in Caerphilly SOuth Wales (where he was from) But I believe they married in London around 1920..ish.... Can't find anything on them anywhere on IGI or other sights.... Her maiden Name was BLanche Jessica Reed ... there may have been a first marraige to a MR. James Joyce from Barry. Can anyone find anything on this couple?
    THank you so much,
    J

FreeBMD has a marriage of James Joyce Reg District Cardiff March 1/4 1915
    On same page Blanche J Reed. Vol 11a page 650.
    Haven't found her marriage to Horace yet.
    Have you considered that they may only have said that they were married and picked London as being far enough away from Wales so no questions were asked.
    Christina

Nicolina

interestingly the couple Christanel found appear to have had children:
    James C H Joyce in 1918, Cardiff District, Sept. Qtr.
    Joan L M Joyce in 1919, Cardiff District, Sept. Qtr.
    Harold L W Joyce in 1920, Cardiff District, Dec Qtr.

There is the birth of a Blanche Jessie Reed September 1/4 1894 Bedminster, Gloucestershire vol 5c page 634. If this is yours then she was 21 at her first marriage and she was already in Wales prior to her marriage.

To follow Blanche back the marriage cert to Joyce is enough but Horace is another kettle of fish. Still looking.
    Christina

TNA copyright 1911 census. There is a Blanche Reed living with the Russell family as a servant age 16. Address is 37 Station Street cardiff.
    Her birth place is given as Bristol.
    FMP has decided to go slow so I will post the ref later.
    Christina
    RG14PN32190 RG78PN1849 RD588 SD6 ED13 SN23 TNA copy right

Nicolina

according to the 1901 Census Blanche was living with her parents and 8 siblings at 35, Lombard Street, Barry, Glamorganshire
    RG13/4994/10 Page 12

in 1911 she was working as a Servant for the RUSSELL family at 39 Station St., Barry
    RG14PN32190 RG78PN1849 RD588 SD6 ED13 SN23

This could be your Horace in 1911
    RG14PN32232 RG78PN1850 RD589 SD1 ED22 SN259 TNA copy right.
    69 Cardiff Road caerphilly
    Parents
    Jackson S T fruiterer and florist 42 married 20 years, born Wooferwoods Hereford
    E M wife 41 born Monmouth Verteg 8 children of the marriage, 6 living.
    Hubert 19 coal miner hewer
    Ernest 17 coal miners assistant
    Horace 12 errand boy
    Bertha 5
    Nellie 3
    Ralph 10 months
    All children born Caerphilly.
    Christina

cariadfach

Default Blanche Reed Joyce Jackson mystery

Dear Christina and Nicolina,

Wow! so much information!!! THank you so much for your help!! I knew that Blanche (my great grandmother) had married James Joyce and that they had a son, James Clifford Henry Joyce ( you show him listed born 1918) but I did not know about the daughter named Joan born 1919!!!! Now the next son, Harold Lesley Walter Russell Joyce (JAckson) was born 27 October 1920.... my grandmother beleived this brother to be a full brother to herself...the product of Blanche and Horace....so this is new news to us!!!!!

Also very interesting about the news about her being a servant in Cardiff. My Blanche was born in Bristol, July 18th 1894. Her father was Ralph Newbury Reed, son of William BAteman Reed, the artictect and builder of the Royal Promenade in Clifton, Bristol.. He was also the builder and owner of the Queen''s Hotel on Queen's road. Well, William BAteman Reed died 1880 and the hotel was sold, etc. Apparently Ralph (WIlliam Bateman's son) and his son Lionel had a heavy gambling problem and the family lost everything they had..and they had to move; but I didn't know it was to Wales....my Nanny said her mother told stories about having to go out to work to help feed her siblings....so that bit about her being a servant in Cardiff fits completely. I knew eventually she ended up in Caerphilly with Horace, but how she got there I had no clue.

Here is what i could glean from my grandmother. Apparently at some point, Blanche was a singer. She sang opera on the Cardiff and London stages. We have pictures of her on the London Stage and also pictures of Horace on stage in costume in London...so we presume they met on stage in London. Now my Nanny thought she was 1 of 5 children by Blanche: Cliff (By James Joyce), Harold ( I guess by James joyce too) , then Ralph, Pauline ( my Nanny) and her younger sister Rita. Nanny says that Ralph and she were born in London and lived in a place called Edgeware Terrace, but they had moved back to Caerphilly, to an 8 Rhos Street, before Rita was born.

However, I am still searching in vain to find marriage certificate of Horace and Blanche.... as for the births you found for Blanche and JAmes Joyce...where can I order copies of thier birth certificates? I would like to know more about the daugher Joan as I had never heard of her. IS it possible she was stillborn, or died in infancy? My Nanny has never mentioned a Joan, but she was raised with both her other brothers, Cliff (JAmes CH Joyce) and Russell (Harold LW Joyce)...so I wonder what happened to Joan???

Again, Thank you so much!! This is more information than I ever thought to have with your info about census in 1901 and 1911 too!!!!

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and I hopee to hear more soon!!!!
    J

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by cariadfach View Post
    Now the next son, Harold Lesley Walter Russell Joyce (JAckson) was born 27 October 1920.... my grandmother beleived this brother to be a full brother to herself...the product of Blanche and Horace....so this is new news to us!!!!!

It is possible that Harold was your grandmother's full brother if Blanche had left her first husband or had an "indiscretion" with Horace prior to her split with James Joyce. However, if she hadn't married Horace, Harold would have had to have been registered under the name Joyce, regardless of the true father - due to her still being married. Even if she was widowed, but not married to Horace, the child's name would have to have been registered under the surname Joyce.

To order Birth, marriage and death certificates go here
    This is the Government Record Office -GRO - and it is their reference numbers and districts you will find on FreeBMD here as posted by Nicolina.
    Do you have access to census records or would you like more?
    Christina

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast