Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Summer

Default Desparately seeking 43 Robinson St!!

I'm flying to Newcastle today to look up my Cowey family in the Tynemouth & Sunderland areas.

A critical address for me is 43 Robinson Street Sunderland, and I cannot seem to find it on googlemaps.

Can anyone help me??

Cheers,
    Summer.

Lizzy9

Hi Summer,

There is a Robinson Street at Houghton le Spring in the Sunderland area, maybe this is it?

Houghton-le-Spring, Sunderland DH4 4, UK

Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Hi Summer,

There is a Robinson Street at Houghton le Spring in the Sunderland area, maybe this is it?

Houghton-le-Spring, Sunderland DH4 4, UK
    Thanks so much Lizzy. It's definitely Sunderland (Bishopwearmouth) though, not Houghton-le-Spring. I've been told before that it was "down High Street East in Sunderland near a church", but I can't for the life of me find it. Is there any street finder that you can look up old addresses on?

I have a vague recollection that there was a website that you could see a map of an area and then choose a year/decade from a drop down list to see what is was like then. Does anyone else know of this website?

Lizzy9

Ok, Summer,

The street either no longer exists, or it's name has changed. In 1901 a Reed family lived at 43, Robinson Street, Bishop Wearmouth, which wasn't exactly off High Street East, but not far away - within half a mile of High Street West. Other places mentioned in the enumerators district description, are: Athol Road, St Barnabus Vicarage, Tower Street West, Hainsforth Terrace West, Rosalie Terrace, Hendon Burn Ave, Bambro' Street, Buddle Terrace and Suffolk Street (South West side)

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Lizzy9

From Robinson Street the enumerator went to Athol Road, so it must have been very near to number 1, Athol Road which is on Google Maps.

Summer

With the info you've given me Lizzy (THANK YOU ), I've found a Robinson Terrace on googlemaps. It juts off Rosalie Terrace and is south of St Barnabus Way. Could this be it?

Seems commercial now with very few houses - what a shame!

Lizzy9

Hi Summer,

Here's Robinson Street on an old map (1894-99) Athol Street is also on the map so you should be able to work out which street is/was Robinson St. Good luck in finding the exact location.

https://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm

Lizzy9

Hi Summer,

To search the map link above, enter sr2 8lq (use lower case letters) at bottom of map there's a drop down box select 1894-99.

Summer

THIS is the website I saw long ago - thanks heaps for the link Lizzy! Do you know how to make the map larger?

Lizzy9

If you follow my instructions in post 8 above - it shouldn't be necessary to enlarge the map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast