Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dvddigby

Default Marriage - Alberta

Can anyone please find a marriage in Edmonton, Alberta between a Fred Ellis and an Isabella Stansfield, sometime between 1906 (when Fred emigrated) and 1935 ?

dvddigby

v.wells

Are you sure they married in Alberta. What was their years of birth and where were they both born.

There is a 1911 census with a Fred Ellis b 1871 widower with 4 children Victor 10, Beatrice 10, Vera 6, and Elizabeth age 1. But there are more Fred Ellis's.

dvddigby

I am told (reliably) that they married in Edmonton, Alberta but the reliable source does not know when.

Fred was from Leeds, Yorkshire and was probably born 1885-1895. Isabella was probably about the same age but we are not sure where she was born.

The main purpose of the enquiry is to try and ascertain who their parents were (especially Isabella's)

dvddigby

v.wells

There is:

Fred Ellis Single age 18 Born Yorkshire a clerk farmer on his way to Lashburn, Saskatchewan arriving 1906 16 June on the Empress of Britain.

And

Fred 18 Winnie Ellis 17 arriving 1906 17 June on the Sarmation, listed as tourists from Yorkshire on their way to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

dvddigby

We think that Fred was born in 1888 and he is the person who arrived on 16th June.

His parents were probably called John William and Elizabeth Ellis born c1862/3 in Leeds. They emigrated about a year after Fred. They had other children called William 1889, Ethel 1893, Herbert 1897 and Mabel 1904 all born at Leeds.

On the 1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta it is thought that there is apparently a reference of 95 13 Calgary associated with some or all of the family.

dvddigby

v.wells

The 1916 census has them all living at 9b Edmonton East, Alberta at 95-13 Calgary. That is all there is for address.

John Ellis 49, Elizabeth Ellis 49, Fred 26, clerk at Edmonton Courthouse, Will F 24, Mabel 13 and Herbert 19. All born England.

You probably order Fred's b cert to find out his correct name before undertaking a search either for marriage registration via vital stats in Edmonton or the other mentioned sources on the Canadian research sticky. There is nothing online in Alberta and certificates are twice the cost of English ones.

Where was Isabella born? It might be possible to locate her birth date/details via the census. I don't know what familysearch.org has for Canada but you could look there.

Have you tried Collections Canada?

dvddigby

Thank you for providing the details from the 1916 record. That narrows down the time scale for the marriage considerably.

The link to the Alberta vital stats does not work (from the sticky) so I have not been able to look at that. I have not found anything on the other links but that could possibly be down to my own incompetence in searching those sources.

His name was definitely Fred Ellis but we have no idea when and where Isabella was born (that is one of the things that we are trying to find out via the marriage record, if it can be found).

So, I am still hoping that someone will be able to find a marriage in Edmonton, Alberta in the period from 1916 to 1935 between a Fred Ellis and an Isabella Stansfield.

dvddigby

bibliojunkie

When Vanessa referred to getting the 'correct name' for Fred I think she was alerting you to the possibility the name the family knew him by was not necessarily the one recorded on a marriage cert etc. If this is the case then applying for one in the name of Fred/erick Ellis might produce zero results. Fred could have been a family nickname. I knew of one couple who were always known as Fred and Fanny or FnF. It was years later I found out their real names were Albert Victor and Mabel Joyce.

Ali

dvddigby

Thank you both for the concern. Fred Ellis was his real name.

His birth registration was in the second quarter of 1888 at Leeds, reference 9b 553. Born on 13th April 1888.

dvddigby

v.wells

If you have the birth certificate for Fred it will identify both his parents names which are used on marriage registrations here in Canada and possibly the only way to trace his marriage to Isabel. I think there is a 100 yr rule in Alberta for bmd information but you could try vital stats. Edmonton or the Alberta Archives. That info is on the Canada forum sticky. There is also a homesteaders site in Alberta that may cover that time frame. Alberta was pretty sparsely populated back then (and still is compared to the UK)

It appears Vital Stats has undergone a change, but this works good:

https://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/VitalStatistics.cfm
    Last edited by v.wells; 05-12-2009 at 6:25 PM. Reason: added url to Vital Stats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast