frayne

Default Army Service Records

Please Help.

I need a new approach to obtaining my deceased father in laws Army service records. We have gone down the route of the Army Personnel Centre etc without any joy. They needed his service number, which unfortunately we don't have. We have his full name, D.O.B, his address at signing up, we know he served the full 1939-45 and was in the artillery in europe and thats about it. Any help with a new approach would be appreciated.

thanks
    Rob

ET in the USA

Have you tried looking at The National Archives Medal search ? If he won a medal, it would show his service number.
    Elaine

Geoffers

Do you know if he was a commissioned officer, or other rank?

Was he menioned in despatches, or received a gallantry medal? - try the London Gazette.

If he was in the RA, you might try the regimental museum; 'Firepower' in Woolwich (use a search egnine to look for 'firepower' and it will turn up).

dizzzy

Not sure I can really help but did you send the certificate of kinship forms to the army personnel centre and did they say they couldn't find anything.

The only reason I ask is because I got my grandfathers service records and we didn't have his service number. We put on the form his full name and dob, that he was in the RA and also that he was a pow. That's all the information we had but they did find his army records.

Hope you manage to find some records.

frayne

Default Army Service Records

Yes, sent all Kinship forms, Death Certificate etc withe no luck.
    Thanks all for replies.
    Rob