intaligo

Default Thomas Harman to Montreal 1904

I have located a listing on Findmypast for my great-grandfather, Thomas Harman, who migrated to Montreal, Canada from England in 1904. Traveling with him were his wife Adelaide, sons Charles (born 1902), Ronald (incorrectly listed as Donald) (born 1904), and daughter Mabel (born 1889). I believe they were traveling first-class, or at least had cabins of some sort. My grandfather, Richmond (born 1891), was also with them, but was made to travel steerage, according to what he recalled.

I have a subscription to Ancestry UK, but not to Findmypast. I would love to know the name of the ship that they sailed on (from Liverpool) and the date they set forth/arrived.

Could someone who has a subscription to Findmypast be so kind as to see if they can find this information for me?

Best,
    Ann Steiner

The ship was the Tunisian (Allan Line)

If you Google you get a few hits and there is an old postcard of the ship at norwayheritage.com
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

intaligo

Thank you so much, Sue!

Ironically my other grandfather sailed from Liverpool as a young boy the same year, bound for New Brunswick as one of the Home Children. I was able to learn the name of his ship through the Canadian Middlemore site, and it will be nice now to have the name and picture for each of the ships that my two grandfathers traveled to North America on.

Thanks again!

Best,
    Ann

BeeJay

Ann, the passenger list is free to view on the Library and Archives Canada website.
    It shows:

T. HARMAN, age 49, Jeweller
    Mrs. HARMAN, age 39
    C. HARMAN, age 2
    R. HARMAN, infant

Miss M. Harman, age 15, is listed separately as a domestic with a couple named CHESHAM.

All five are from Warwick, destination is Montreal.

The Tunisian left Liverpool 14 July 1904, arrived in Montreal 22 July 1904.

You can look at the passenger lists here, or if you want I can email you the image of the page:
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...5-100.01-e.php

intaligo

Beejay,

Thank you for furnishing the information that you found on the passenger list. I clicked on the link you provided, filled in the blanks with the information you gave me, and it came up saying:

# No entries found.
    # This database is not searchable by name of passengers. No name of passengers are included.
    # Maybe you entered too many search terms. Try simplifying your search.
    # The name of the ship that you looking for maybe spelled differently.
    # If you entered an exact date of departure and/or arrival, try searching by year only. Use the year of arrival field

I would love to see an image of the page -- if it's not too much trouble I would appreciate you sending it.

It was very interesting to see the daughter listed as a domestic and traveling with another family altogether. And my grandfather, stuck down in steerage, not mentioned at all!

I've sent you a private message with my e-mail address, if you have time to send an image of the page.

Thank you!

Ann

BeeJay

Ann, I think your grandfather was Paul HARMAN, age 12, in steerage.

Images sent by email.