apowell

Default Where is Minderburn, Armagh?

Hi,

I'm attempting to trace my X4 Grt Grandfather Thomas Dellicott/ Delacourt/ Drillingcourt, Dallincourt and Dellicoat (depending on which document you're reading) and found this:

THOMAS DELECOAT alias THOMAS DELLICOAT; THOMAS DELICOTT
    Born MINDERBURN, Armagh
    Served in 66th Foot Regiment; 9th Royal Veteran Battalion
    Discharged aged 27 after 4 years 9 months of service
    See film image 304

I've searched and searched for Minderburn in Armagh but with no luck and I'm thinking the spelling must be wrong. Anyone any ideas what the place name should be and does any of the surnames connect with Armagh.

I've found somemore military records of Thomas and it states he was born in Banff, Scotland which matches the movements of his parents. Thomas's father was a soldier in the Breadalbane Fencibles and was stationed in Banff but also moved with his Regiment to Ireland.

Kind regards
    Adrian

pattenwalsh

Could be the following...
    "The area referred to as Minterburn is the triangular wedge of south Tyrone lying between Armagh and Monaghan counties. It is an elevated area bounded on the south-east and south-west by the River Blackwater which forms a boundary with those two counties. The village of Minterburn lies centrally along the northern edge that area and the town of Caledon "
    extract from County Tyrone web pages on rootsweb

apowell

Hi,

Thank you very much for the information and it looks very promising.

Cheers
    Adrian