Beebee

Question Reason for Discharge

I have the attestation papers of a relative who was in the London Regiment 10th Reserve Battalion for only 45 days. He was discharged in consequence of Para 156(ii). Could anyone tell me what that means? I tried google, but could not find an answer.

Beebee

Yes, sorry Finbar, he was in the Territorial Force.

Could Para 156 of the Territorial Force Regulations be the equivalent of Para 392 of the King's Regulations? I did find a PDF file of Para 392 “Cause of discharge” file on the internet and reason (ii) is – Having been irregularly enlisted-When a recruit has been irregularly attested, a report, together with the man's attestation, is to be furnished to the officer i/c recruiting.

I was hoping to find something similar for Para 156.

Beebee

Thank you for your help Finbar.
    This same person was, a few years later, in the Hampshire Regiment (again only for a short time) and discharged under Para 392 reasons (iii) Not being likely to become an efficient soldier, and (cc) Recruits with more than 3 months service considered medically unfit for further military service. Sounds like he wasn't soldier material.

daggers

"Sounds like he wasn't soldier material"

Yes, but he was clearly willing!

Ditch

No indication of the time frame here, Beebee. But, I wonder; Might the poor chap have been a victim of TB? I know that excluded my own uncle from WW2 service. And I've seen enough other records where guys have been shown the door, once it had worn them down so they simply weren't physically up to the rigours of a soldiers lot.

Just a thought

Beebee

That IS a thought, thank you Ditch.