Knowledgeable and helpful

Default What does this mean?

Amongst a collection of old family photographs held by a cousin is a card with the following inscription:-

"This arung (*) was presented to me by natives of Bali(ht#) at surrender as token of good will"

* "carving" inserted in what looks like a different hand
    # "ht" deleted

It is written on the back of a post card on which is printed a short poem composed by my grandfather, which I guess was printed 1920-40. There is no date nor signature and I have absolutely no idea what form the artifact took.

The only person with a military connection I have traced is my grandfather's son who served and died in France in WW1, and the only "eastern" connection is his father who died in India in 1888. A brother of my grandfather emigrated to New Zealand in about 1885 and I suppose might have stopped off en route,
    but he died in 1912. Other family emigrated to Canada, but I cannot see how this might be relevant.

Googling "surrender of Bali" and "arung" gives me nothing that adds to my understanding.

Is there anyone who can help me make sense of this and perhaps shed some light on an, as yet unknown, episode in my family's history?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy
    Amongst a collection of old family photographs held by a cousin is a card with the following inscription:-

"This arung (*) was presented to me by natives of Bali(ht#) at surrender as token of good will"
    Possibly the end of WW2 and surrender of Japanese?

Or is there any family connection with Holland and the rebellions in Bali in the first decade of the 20th century?

Is it a coincidence that the poem is typed on the other side of the card? - or was it typed there by someone who knew your grandfather and liked the poem? (Was your grandftaher a published poet?)

Default Arung "Carving"

Have been in touch with pal in the area of Bali who advises

"Mount Arung in Bali is associated with stone carving - stone carving villages exist at the foot. Arung is a 17th century chief in Sulanesi/Celebes - an island east of Borneo, north of Bali. There is a wood carving tradition there.
    Aru (?) is associated with a particular type of carved figure with one arm held horizontally and the other uplifted vertically - each meaning something (alas meaning not known). This was associated with the chief Arung".

Will keep me posted of anything else he can unearth

regards

Thanks Geoffers and Helachau for your responses. At least I have now a possible idea of what the artifact may have been. The rebellion against the Dutch is interesting - it could be in the right time frame - but I have no idea how that could link in with my family. I think the events of WW2 are not connected

Unfortunately I never knew my grandfather, but I think he must have been an interesting individual. I know he travelled to Canada at least three times before WW1, once prospecting for silver. He was also an amateur archaeologist and antiquarian, and built an extension to his house to display his collection. It is my instinct that the note could refer to something he brought home. I somehow feel that it seem bad form for someone else to use the card with his work on as scrap paper.

The verses he wrote were largely for his own amusement and that of friends and family. I was surprised to find that at least one had been committed to print.

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Have been in touch with pal in the area of Bali who advises

"Mount Arung in Bali is associated with stone carving - stone carving villages exist at the foot. Arung is a 17th century chief in Sulanesi/Celebes - an island east of Borneo, north of Bali. There is a wood carving tradition there.
    Aru (?) is associated with a particular type of carved figure with one arm held horizontally and the other uplifted vertically - each meaning something (alas meaning not known). This was associated with the chief Arung".

Will keep me posted of anything else he can unearth

regards
    Forgive me, but it's all beginning to sound like The Green Eye of the Little Yellow God

Do you know the poem? 'There's a one-eyed yellow idol to the north of Khatmandu...?'

Daft I know, but artefacts of this nature were popular during the first years of the century, so who knows? Poems of the nature too.

As Geoffers asked, Brentnor Boy - was your ancestor a poet? Was he attempting to emulate J Milton Hayes who wrote Green Eye of the Little Yellow God?

Hi Marian,

I can fully understand your scepticism which, to a certain extent, I share. I know of no British involvement in the area, apart from during WW2, and I have no other reason to think that any of my family may have been out there as an individual, as sailor, mercenary or other free-lance.

In defence of my grandfather, from what I know of him he was a practical, down-to-earth individual who displayed a logical, almost scientific attitude. I do not think he would have given house-room to anything that he did not believe to be the genuine article. Even though he wrote the odd ode, he does nor appear to have been a romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    ".....the Green Eye of the Little Yellow God". Do you know the poem? 'There's a one-eyed yellow idol to the north of Khatmandu...?'

[/I]?
    Yes, and yrs ago made a determined effort to learn it in full. I grew up with an Uncle whose party piece it was and it fascinated me eg.

"She upbraided poor Carew in the way that women do,
    Although her eyes were strangely moist and wet,
    But she would not take the stone, and Carew was left alone
    With the jewel that he'd chanced his life to get..."

Shakespeare, eat your heart out.