kesimmonds

Default William Hunter, Tailor, Brechin, c.1841-51

I'm trying to find out when a William Hunter (a master tailor) died, presumably in Brechin, Angus.
    I have him in the 1841 census, at Andersons Close, Brechin, with his wife Margaret and 5 children. There are other children not shown here. William and Margaret's ages (60 & 30) seem to be works of fiction.
    In the 1851 census, Margaret is living at 146 High St, Brechin. She is now head of the house, and a pauper, living with 4 children. Margaret has suddenly aged 28 years to become 58 in the 10 year interval.
    Margaret's death certificate in 1863 shows her ageing 18 years to become 76 in the 12 year period from the 1851 census. No matter. More importantly, by showing her as a widow, it confirms that William is already dead, presumably before the 1851 census.
    I would dearly like to find out when, where, and how William Hunter died, and can find no reference to him in the 10 year period between the '41 and '51 census.
    Is anyone able to assist please?

stevenpenny

Hi,

The IGI database has a record for a;

William HUNTER
    Birth: 7 Aug 1782 Closeburn, Dumfries, Scotland
    Death: 13 Mar 1851 Closeburn, Dumfries, Scotland
    Spouse: Margaret SANDIE

Based on date of death and spouse forst name, this could well be him. The location is somewhat out as Closeburn is a few miles north of Dumfries whereas Brechin is between Perth and Aberdeen.

Steve

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there
    Can't find his death in Brechin on Scotlands People parish records index tho there seem to be William Hunter deaths elsewhere in Angus

Brechin library (see Angus Council website) seem to have lists of some monumental inscriptions and other information, tho I think not online.

Scotlands People parish registers have a marriage of a William Hunter to a Margaret in Brechin, Angus on 1 Jan 1822 in the free search index. Would this date fit? Might be worth checking.

kesimmonds

Unhappy Thanks, but....

Hello Steven and Grisel,
    Thank you both very much for your replies.
    Steven, my apologies for omitting the fact that Margaret's maiden name was Butchart (from her death certificate in 1863) so its not the William Hunter/ Margaret Sandie in Dumfries I'm afraid.
    Grisel, since my original post, I have now obtained a copy of William and Margaret's marriage entry in the Brechin Marriage register. It was certainly 1822, but the date was 1st February rather than January, and her name is incorrectly written as Butcher rather than Butchart.

But I'm still no further forward in finding where, when or how William Hunter died. As Grisel says, there are William Hunter deaths elsewhere in Angus, but without spending a lot of money on a lot of incorrect death certificates, I don't think I'm going anywhere on this one

Famous for offering help & advice

Might be worth contacting Angus Archives - they seem to hold Brechin burial records too.
    Good luck.
    grisel