jthorup

Default William Alderton Military Records

I have my Grandfather's attestation paper which reads: Canadian over-seas expeditionary force 9880 Sept 22nd 1914. William Alderton.Born 1881 I heard from a family member that he was a POW but cannot find out any info. As I live in California I am finding it a little difficult to find where to go. William was married to Edith Brown. I am interested to find out about his military record.
    Janet

daggers

Mutley

Hello Janet and welcome to the forum.

I am going to move this thread to the Military area, you may find you receive more help there.

Problems navigating Brit-Gen is for when you get lost in the British Genealogy forum. But don't worry, if you do get lost we can send someone to find you. We are quite good at tracking people on here.

Good Luck

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by jthorup
    I have my Grandfather's attestation paper which reads: Canadian over-seas expeditionary force 9880 Sept 22nd 1914. William Alderton.Born 1881 I heard from a family member that he was a POW but cannot find out any info.
    You might try the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Geneva; which has a large (but incomplete) list of PoWs. They accept written enquiries at International Council of the Red Cross, Archives Division, 19 Avenue de la Paix, CH-1202, Geneva, Switzerland - a fee is charged for the service. If you use a search engine for their web-site you may find more information on coverage and what detail is needed if you write to them.

jthorup

Thank you so much, I feel a little lost right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Hello Janet and welcome to the forum.

I am going to move this thread to the Military area, you may find you receive more help there.

Problems navigating Brit-Gen is for when you get lost in the British Genealogy forum. But don't worry, if you do get lost we can send someone to find you. We are quite good at tracking people on here.

Good Luck

jthorup

Thank you so much for your help.

Janet

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can order his complete service file from Library & Archives Canada.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...t4852ppms6v3n4

Click on the link above his name: How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file

jthorup

Default Thank you

Thank you so much I just ordered a complete file. I appreciate your help.
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    You can order his complete service file from Library & Archives Canada.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...t4852ppms6v3n4

Click on the link above his name: How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file