DAVID LYON

Default Royal Navy Epaulette Mystery??

My Grandfather Charles BOWN served in the RN during WW2 serving throughout The Med. at various shore bases incl. HMS NILE. His records show that for a period he was 'Special Services' I have a photo of him wearing a battledress jkt. The epaulettes on this jacket shows 2 bars!! His rank at this time was Stoker 1st. class. (Propeller with star on sleeve)
    Does anyone suggest what the bars mean?

David.

daggers

Disguise? Special Services did many strange things.

DAVID LYON

Thanks for the suggestion Daggers. But why have a photo taken?

daggers

Since posting earlier, a little tongue in cheek, I came across 'Special Forces' mentioned elsewhere. It said that in one context they were forerunners of Commandos/SAS etc, but in another they could be involved with Q Ships - merchantmen with hidden weaponry.
    Years ago I read about WW1 Q ships, where the mock merchantman on being challenged by the enemy, would heave to, appear to panic and send away a boat's crew, before the disguise was dropped, guns revealed and fired at the enemy vessel - usually a U-boat.
    Your G-f could have taken the part of the departing 'skipper', badged up for the purpose.
    Just an idea!
    D
    PS I see it was on this forum, so I may have wasted this. Anther theory is that your g-f could have been rescued from a sinking/sunk ship and borrowed clothes.

DAVID LYON

Thanks again for your time. The whole Special Services thing has been baffling me for ages now. I do believe he was poss involved with a Combined Services unit. I have a formal photo of him with 2 other RN colleagues, and a Sgt. in Army uniform. On the rear its marked Tripoli 1943. (see my other post titled ALLAKEEFIC FOUR in this same catagory)
    David.