Hollytree

Default Warren family - Ventnor

Hi

I have just found that a brother of my great grandmother married and settled on Isle of Wight

He was Robert Warren, bp1833 in Walcot St Swithins Bath, the son of Thomas & Rebecca WARREN. basketmaker. Robert married Ellen MARTIN on 12 Nov 1871 at Holy Trinity Church, Ventnor. He was a widower, she a spmster, her father James, described as a 'Town Crier'. (she was born Chichester, Essex - so the town crier bit may allude to there).

They went on to have 8 children, all born at Godshill........

1872 Kate
    1873 Thomas Martin
    1874 Robert Arthur
    1876 Walter William
    1878 George
    1879 Harry
    1882 Archibald
    1885 Edgar Septimus
    1887 Reuben Octavious

Phew!

Any one still on the Isle of Wight descended/researching this family?

Anne

Geoffers

No connection but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hollytree
    He was Robert Warren, bp1833 in Walcot St Swithins Bath....married Ellen MARTIN on 12 Nov 1871 at Holy Trinity Church, Ventnor. They went on to have 8 children, all born at Godshill........
    It looks like three of the sons may not have survived WW1

1882 Archibald - CWGC entry
    1885 Edgar Septimus - CWGC entry
    1887 Reuben Octavious - CWGC entry

Hollytree

Geoffers

Great! I didn't think to look for any deaths on the War Graves Site........... I'll have a look for their medal records and service records if any survive. Thanks so much.

Seem to have had more success with this family going forward than going back! Have yet to find a marriage of Robert's father etc

Anne

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Hollytree
    Great! I didn't think to look for any deaths on the War Graves Site........... I'll have a look for their medal records and service records if any survive.
    Don't forget to also try the RN and RM service records on TNA's documentsonline. Being from the Island, some may have gone to sea; searching is free and something you can do from home

Seem to have had more success with this family going forward than going back!
    Don't forget to try resources such as the Probate Calendar to look for wills (wills often contain lots of useful and interesting detail); and perhaps directories such as those which can be purchased on CD from the Parish Chest.