Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1891 Lookup

ewan

Default 1891 Lookup

I am looking for an Ernest Mitchell born 1881 Isle of Wight.

I have Ernest and his family living on the 1881 census on the Isle of Wight, can anyone please help to try and find him or the rest of his family on the 1891 census?

13 Newport St Ryde
    RG11 1178/50 52.

Thank you for any help.
    Ewan

Kaff

No luck I'm afraid.Someone with far more knowledge than me might be able to tell you if the 1891 Census is complete.

Perhaps they emigrated??

Mutley

I cannot see any of them
    sorry

busyglen

I looked earlier, but couldn't find them. There was a young Ernest living in Southsea,, and shown as a Grandson. I also found a Robert Mitchell living on the IOW but with an Emma as a wife, not Emily, and a daughter Emma. Could this be the right family and young Ernest was with grandparents? That's all I could find. If you want the details let me know as I didn't save them at the time and can look them up again.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 11-11-2009 at 6:33 PM. Reason: change of place put wrong town

busyglen

I don't think this is the right one having looked at it again. The head of household is a Mary Mitchell and a Widow, with her brother and another of her family. The boy was shown as born in Southsea, and 7 years old which is too young. Sorry, but worth a try.

Glenys

Jan1954

'Tis always worth looking for Ernest spelt EARNEST and, with the surname beginning with M, have a look at W and H as well.

Have you found any of them in 1901, by any chance? If not, as Kaff said, could they have emigrated?

Mutley

By searching for the surname only and born in Ryde an Emily pops up, I don't think she is yours because she is not married but maybe a connection.

Emily Mitchell Head Single born 1840 in Ryde, age 51
    Emily Mitchell daughter Single born 1868 in Ryde, age 23
    Elen Mitchell niece born 1883 in Ryde, age 8

living at 3 Arthur Street. RG12/890. F. 29 P. 14

None of the other names seem to be around anywhere.

ewan

Glenys, that could be Ernest that you have found living in Southsea, because I have found that sometimes an Emily can use the name of Emma and vice versa and that may be his parents, Robert and Emily/Emma living on the IOW. As for the birthplace being Southsea as opposed to IOW and the age being slightly out, perhaps the grandparents may not have known exact details of their grandson. Would you be able to send the details anyway regarding Ernest Mitchell, Robert and Emma Mitchell for me please?

Jan, No I haven't found any of them in 1901 as yet.

Mutley, I don't have access to the 1891 census, so I can't check out the one you found, when I go to the library next I will have a look though.

Thank you all so much for your help, and especially even if you have helped look but have not been unable to find anything related, at least I know others have searched for me.

Ewan

busyglen

Bear with me Ewan, I'm just trying to locate them again.

Glenys

busyglen

Right Ewan, here we go:

RG12/0875/F51/P7
    118 Lawrence Rd., Landport

MITCHELL, Robert, head, 49, Collector, b. Northwood IOW
    MITCHELL, Emma, wife, 44, b. Portsmouth, Hants
    MITCHELL, Emma, daur, 20, b. " "

I'm not too sure that this will fit in with your family but here goes:

RG12/0851 Sorry cant see the folio number.

MITCHELL, Mary head, Wid.,51, Living on own means b. Portsmouth Hants
    SMITH, Joanna, Mother, 75, Living on own means, b. " "
    MITCHELL, Mary B. Daur,. 17, b. Havant, Hants
    MITCHELL, Edmund B. Son, 14, scholar b. Havant, Hants
    CRUSE, Jessie, visitor, 16, scholar b. Southsea, Hants
    CRUSE, Frederick, visitor, 12, scholar b. Southampton,
    MITCHELL, Ernest, grandson, 7, b. Southsea Hants.

Not sure whether the Mary is Robert's sister or not as they are similar ages, but if she was, she wouldn't be the Grandmother of Ernest. Hope you can sort this out if indeed this family is linked to your Ernest.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 12-11-2009 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to show Mary as Widow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast