Rachandgarry

Default So many dead ends, I think I'm in a maze!

Hi

This is my first time on this board, so hello to all and I look forward to chatting to you all and helping if ever I can.

I have been looking at my family tree seriously for a very short time, but have been thinking about it for years. I'm 34, and unfortunately do not have any living relatives on my mother's side, as she died of cancer when I was 18. Despite this, I have been able to do some guesswork, order various certificates and I am now as far back as the names of my g-g-g-grandparents! This is, unfortunately, where I have hit a brick wall, because my g-g-g-grandfather seems to have a different variation of his name every couple of years, and there is no trace of him at all before he was about 30-odd. I won't give up, and hopefully I will find him one day, then I will be able to go back further and unlock the secrets of my past! My ultimate dream would be to find out what my ancestors were doing in Tudor times, as I am very fascinated by that period in history.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to becoming part of the forum!

Regards
    Rachel
    Thornbury, South Glos.

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums. The forum members are really helpfula nd welcome a challenge; so in the following order:

1. Make your self a big cuppa (biscuits are optional, but tea can be a bit wet without them)

2. Get comfy

3. Have a good long browse around he forums and look at what has already been posted.

4. When you're ready post a thread on one of the forums and see what happens.

If you get stuck/lost, please ask there are several of us moderators here and we can try to give a helping hand in navigating the forums.

Good luck

v.wells

Welcome aboard Rachel! You will find many variations in name spellings due to illiteracy, enumerator's intelligence and a variety of other fun reasons, so don't despair. Post away and our sleuths will find them!