Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coastguards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    KT in Trinidad

Default coastguards

Hi I am trying to trace some of my family. My GGG Grandfather appears to have been a coastguard. According to the Gen UKI British Coastguards 1841-1901 Joseph Robinson was a coastguard in Willingdon 1841, Aberdeen 1841 and Barrow upon Humber 1851. Is it possible to find anymore information on these - I have looked at the National Archives site but you appear to need to visit Kew in order to get access. Any helpful suggestions as to how I can extend my search?

Jillychris

There is this site

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/news.php

also Genuki have something about coastguards

Regards
    Jill

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

You can download the CG records in ADM 175 for FREE from the National Archive website. However, a word of warning the files are VERY LARGE!!

I have these all downloaded and saved on my computer, so PM me if you would like me to trace his service history for you.

Regards

Martin

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    Hi

You can download the CG records in ADM 175 for FREE from the National Archive website. However, a word of warning the files are VERY LARGE!!

I have these all downloaded and saved on my computer, so PM me if you would like me to trace his service history for you.

Regards

Martin
    Hello Martin (from New Zealand)

One of my great grandfathers (Thomas George Shapter) was a coastguard in Moville, Ireland in the late 19th century - would there be any records for him in the file you mention?

David

Hi David

These records end around the late 1870's so would be too early for your man. However, I wondered if you had followed up on my earlier suggestions on the Coastguards of Yesteryear website?:

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.o...1002#post_1002

Martin

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    Hi David

These records end around the late 1870's so would be too early for your man. However, I wondered if you had followed up on my earlier suggestions on the Coastguards of Yesteryear website?:

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.o...1002#post_1002

Martin
    Yes, I've been on contact with them in the past - a great site and very helpful. I just wondered if it was worth downloading the file, hence my enquiry.

Thanks for your reply

David

Hi

Out of interest I thought I would attempt to trace Robinson's CG service history, and even though I'm quite familiar with these particular records it was something of a challenge.

The place names you have do not directly equate to CG Stations, so it meant looking in the general area i.e. Willingdon is in Sussex, near Eastbourne, but I eventually found him at Langley Fort, Rye. So I hope you don't mind, but I traced his entire CG service:

20 Sept 1836 Nominated to the CG from the Revenue Cruiser Stork (ADM 175/6 page 217 of 779). The only way to take his service in Stork back further, is to consult her Muster Book in the ADM 119 series of documents at the National Archives, Kew.

On the 25 June 1842 he was transferred to Salt Fleet. He was again transferred on 4 April 1846 to Skegness following his promotion to Commissioned Boatman - equivalent to a Petty Officer in the Navy.

He was promoted again, this time to Chief Boatman, and transferred to Barton, Hull, on 18 September 1847 (ADM 175/7 page 631 of 792), from where he was Discharged Dead (DD) on 5 May 1852 from Heart Disease (ADM 175/7 page 767 of 792).

Regards

Martin

KT in Trinidad

Hi Martin
    Many thanks for tracing Joseph Robinson, you have got much further than I have (I manged to download 1 ADM file). I have some questions

The revenue cruiser Stork -was that a Navy or merchant ship?
    The 1841 census I read had him, as single and living in Aberdeen (I failed to pick him up in any English census) is this likely?
    Sometime between 1841 and 1846 he met and married his wife Elizabeth from Newhaven - I presumed he must have had a posting there. Is is possible he had additional posts to the ones you found?

I had already worked out he died early as he is missing from the 1861 census and is listed as deceased on his daughters marriage certificate in 1862.

Thanks again
    Katy

Hi Katy

In answer to your first question, its neither. The Revenue Cruisers were part of the CG service, and had been since 1822, when they were amalgamated with the Preventative Water Guard and Riding Officers to form the new CG Service under Customs and Excise. The CG Service did not come under the control of the Royal Navy until 1856.

I think Aberdeen is a complete red-herring.

The fact his wife was originally from Newhaven does not necessarily mean that he met her there, although Newhaven is in Sussex, close to his first posting, and would fit with his time there. Perhaps my first post was a little unclear, but from 1836 until 1842 he was stationed at Langley Fort, Sussex.

CG Men were actively discouraged from mixing with the locals, and if they did marry a local women, were then immediately transferred to another station. As a consequence I’ve found that quite a few CGs married the daughters of fellow Coast Guards.

Martin

Katy

I revisited the Establishment Book for Langley Fort, and noticed that I had given you a wrong date, Robinson entered the CGs' in 1834 not 1836 as I said in my original post. However, having looked down the page a little further, and against the name of another CG, John Samuel Harris, I saw that this man had deserted (Run) on 12th April 1838, but what was really interesting was a further note that he had 'absconded with the wife of J Robinson'!

Perhaps if you look at the original (ADM 175/6 page 217 of 779) you can see what I mean.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast