Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by lindarhead View Post
    Thanks so much for those replies Heather....I don't know really which way to go with this, as I have no clue how I can possibly find out which Island she was born on,it's completely outside anything I've ever come across before and there is no-one who has any idea other than the ref in the census records. I can see that the time span fits in with what you're saying about the indentured workers, but I just don't now how to find out. I do feel that although my initial thought was down the military route as the reason for their being there that would he have come home to England and by the time of the next census in 51 just been a Labourer...I'm in a muddle with this I have to admit....

Linda
    I have to admit that his being a Labourer was what twigged me re the Indentured Worker....but I have been away from Jamaican genealogy for a bit so will ask on the Caribbean group. I don't think I have ever seen one that is British. Usually East Indian or Chinese. Those "politically incorrect" columns are a godsend!!

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Do read Heathers replies, above, also...........

I got these hits searching TNA's catalogue for "john hill* AND sussex" in WO97

Could the second one be your chap?

I tried repeating the search for RN and RM files using the series code ADM, but any possibilities seem less likely. You might try a search for yourself, if you are not sure how, please ask.
    Geoffers thanks so much for that...yes it could well be him if that regiment served in the West Indies...how would I find that out?

Linda

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Further to my last message - See this TNA news item [/URL]as another source for foreign births. Searching is free, you pay to view likely matches.
    Geoffers re your second message I can't get that link to open....could you help a bit further please?

Linda

Geoffers

Most peculiar. Go to TNA's web-site https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Look at the horizontal bar near the top of the screen, over to the right is a link 'News' click on that and you should end up here https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n...tm?source=news

On the left of the sreen click on 'More overseas birth, marriage and death records available online.'

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I have to admit that his being a Labourer was what twigged me re the Indentured Worker....but I have been away from Jamaican genealogy for a bit so will ask on the Caribbean group. I don't think I have ever seen one that is British. Usually East Indian or Chinese. Those "politically incorrect" columns are a godsend!!
    Thanks Heather that would be great...I do so appreciate all the help and advice I've received on this.

Linda

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is no sign of the family on the 1841 census, but in 1851 there are children Emma, Alfred,Amos,Ellen,June & Harriet. Now Amos is born 1835 in Sussex, yet their next child Ellen is born in 1838 in the W. Indies.
    Here they are in the 1841 census:

John Hill 44, labourer
    Elizabeth Hill 41
    Thomas Hill 15
    Fanny Hill 14
    Emma Hill 11
    Alfred Hill 9
    Amos Hill 7
    Eleanor Hill 4

Birthplace for all except Eleanor = N (not in county)
    Birthplace for Eleanor = F (foreign parts)

Address: Hut by the side of road
    Civil parish: St Mary Islington East
    Hundred: Ossulstone (Finsbury Division)
    County/Island: Middlesex
    Registration district: Islington
    Sub-registration district: Islington East
    HO107; Piece 664; Book: 16; Folio: 18; Page: 30

From the other addresses on the page, it seems to be in the Seven Sisters Road neighbourhood.

Adele

Brick wall demolition expert!

Now Amos is born 1835 in Sussex, yet their next child Ellen is born in 1838 in the W. Indies. The next child to be born is June, who is born in Islington,Middlesex in 1843.
    There is too long a gap between these children. This might be another child of John & Elizabeth Hill.

London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980

Saint Mary, Islington

Frederick Hill, abode Seven Sisters Row, buried 22 Jan 1841, infant

Adele

lindarhead

Adele, you're a star!!!! Thank you so much for finding them on the 1841, I feel sure that this is the family...not a very salubrious address'hut by side of road'... So they obviously weren't in the West Indies for very long then...hmm...the mystery deepens!

Linda

MythicalMarian

Linda, I don't suppose you've considered the possibility of little Ellen being an 'adopted' child? Or even a foundling they took in? I am just a wee bit concerned about a labourer having the wherewithal to sail out to the Windies and back again in the time scale you have.

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    Linda, I don't suppose you've considered the possibility of little Ellen being an 'adopted' child? Or even a foundling they took in? I am just a wee bit concerned about a labourer having the wherewithal to sail out to the Windies and back again in the time scale you have.
    Hello Marian, no to be honest I hadn't considered that option, but it is worth thinking about. I have to admit given the time span I did wonder about that myself, and I'm also thinking that if the child before Ellen was born in Sussex in 1835 and then the next one was born in Sussex in 1841 or 43 then it's unlikely that he was posted there as military, unless of course he was discharged on medical grounds.

It's a puzzle!...Linda

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast