Adrian mori

Default Royal Marine Service

Please can anyone help with another Marine query i have - My GtGt Grandfather Thomas Middleton, Born in Martock, Somerset in c.1834, Joined the Royal Marines. On the 1851 census he is an Ag labourer 17yrs so i am guessing he joined up 1852-53? (18yrs) pre RMLI & RMA. Next he shows up in 1861 in Millbay Barracks, Plymouth as a gunner RMA - so i am guessing he signed on at Plymouth (closest Marine Depot?). 1871 still a Gunner RMA but now married and son (Born 1870 Netley, Southampton - maybe the Victoria Hospital in Netley) Living in Portsmouth. 1881 he is working as a labourer at the Naval Dockyard Portsmouth, but is in Haslar Naval Hospital - may be that old war wound.
    I have looked every where i can think of for any records of his service anyone got any ideas of places to look and does anyone know what conflict around the 1878-80 he could have been wounded in?

Jillychris

The National Archives have Royal Marine Service Records some are on Documents Online but my relatives like yours are not there.

You can search the records at the National Archives if you read the guides they will help you.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/m...WT.lp=mh-33480

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Jill

Adrian mori

Thanks - i think i need a day at the NA - did you track your records down?

Jillychris

No I didn't but I tried to find him on board ship first as I knew which ship he was on in 1861 and I think that was a mistake as I did find him but not very much information about him.
    I will try again when I go next year.

Good luck
    Regards
    Jill

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian mori
    My GtGt Grandfather Thomas Middleton, Born in Martock, Somerset in c.1834, Joined the Royal Marines........1881 he is working as a labourer at the Naval Dockyard Portsmouth, but is in Haslar Naval Hospital - may be that old war wound.
    I have looked every where i can think of for any records of his service anyone got any ideas of places to look and does anyone know what conflict around the 1878-80 he could have been wounded in?
    If you cannot find him in documentsonline, or in TNA's catalogue - you may need a visit to TNA at Kew and look for discharges in ADM157

Enlistments in the RMA from 1861 for surnames M-Z are in ADM157/2849

I wouldn't necessarily consider that your chap ended up in Haslar for a war wound, there were many injuries sustained outside conflict.