Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SueL View Post
    Karl was married in Redruth in 1896 (see FreeBMD) so whatever/wherever his crime, it was after 1896

Hope this helps?
    regards,
    SueL
    Thanks, Sue. Tomorrow, Good Lord willing, his marriage certificate will arrive.

All I can think of, is that it was something 'serious' as, both he, his father [Karl Oskar] and their families were not around in 1911. Did they go back to Norway, which is where his father [Karl Oskar] was born?

ET in the USA

Colin,
    Are you sure they are from Norway ? On AN** .uk there are a number of, Death I think, entries for Karl Hugo & Karl Oskar Ahlstedt from Sweden & in Swedish too it looks like. Perhaps someone can look them up for you if Sweden is a possibility. I am going to the library tomorrow, but not sure if Swedish info. is on the US library edition. Do you still need Harold Ball arrival info ? I think the library has sorted out their advanced reader problems.

Elaine

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    Colin,
    Are you sure they are from Norway ? On AN** .uk there are a number of, Death I think, entries for Karl Hugo & Karl Oskar Ahlstedt from Sweden & in Swedish too it looks like. Perhaps someone can look them up for you if Sweden is a possibility. I am going to the library tomorrow, but not sure if Swedish info. is on the US library edition. Do you still need Harold Ball arrival info ? I think the library has sorted out their advanced reader problems.

Elaine
    Hi Elaine
    Thanks for the tip on AN. I have membership for World-wide and will do lookups.

You may well be right about Sweden - I suspected that it was one of the Scandinavian countries. I believe Karl Oskar [the father of Karl Hugo] was from there and married in England in 1873. Karl Hugo [his son] was born in Phillack, Cornwall in 1874 and by 1881 his mother was a widow. Possibly Karl Oskar died in England but is buried in Sweden.
    Am awiting their marriage certificates.

Re: Harold A. Ball - I have unearthed some info [but not much] so anything you can provide [even if duplicated] would be most welcome.

Cheers
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Default Please go to Ahlstedt family thread for more

Will post additional Ahlstedt info on that thread

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thanks, Sue. Tomorrow, Good Lord willing, his marriage certificate will arrive.

All I can think of, is that it was something 'serious' as, both he, his father [Karl Oskar] and their families were not around in 1911. Did they go back to Norway, which is where his father [Karl Oskar] was born?

Not sure that the family did go back to Norway [or possibly Sweden as noted by E.T. in USA]

It has been brought to my attention, that, what Karl Hugo did was enter into a bigamous marriage in December 1898 in Pontypridd, Wales. He was sentenced to 12 months Hard Labour at Bodmin Assizes in June 1900.

I feel sorry for the 'poor' girl he 'married' as she was probably a mum by that time.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Not sure that the family did go back to Norway [or possibly Sweden as noted by E.T. in USA]

It has been brought to my attention, that, what Karl Hugo did was enter into a bigamous marriage in December 1898 in Pontypridd, Wales. He was sentenced to 12 months Hard Labour at Bodmin Assizes in June 1900.

I feel sorry for the 'poor' girl he 'married' as she was probably a mum by that time.

Colin
    Having been advised that Karl Hugo did as stated in the quote, he was convicted and sentenced at the Bodmin Assizes in June 1900. I was given this information almost 2 years ago, but with my flood loss in June, the Ahlstedt file was destroyed.

I am slowly rebuilding this file, but cannot remember where the details of this conviction and sentence came from. Can anyone assist me?

Thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There's a short piece about the hearing in the Royal Cornwall Gazette of 21 June 1900.

If you PM me an email address I'll send it to you.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    There's a short piece about the hearing in the Royal Cornwall Gazette of 21 June 1900.

If you PM me an email address I'll send it to you.
    Thanks Kerrywood, will do.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The article was most informative. Certainly in his defence he was "grasping at straws".

What I did find interesting as well, was after his release in 1901 [June] he and Anne [his mistreated spouse] accepted him back. He became a Tin Miner and was living in Redruth. A son was born in 1902 [2nd q.] and was named William Henry. A daughter followed - Annie Jane - born 2nd q. 1903 but she died 3rd q. 1904.

Anne died in the 1st q, 1912 aged just 39

Colin Rowledge

And now the epilogue.

After the death of Anne, he married again [legally this time]. Her name was Eliza J. Harris. They married 2nd q. 1913. He was aged 40 and Eliza was 42. I have not found any children. He died 3rd. q. 1936 in Redruth and Eliza died 1st q. 1949. He was aged 62 at death and she was 78.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12