Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gambrill

Default Can't find Alice's "love" ... i.e Frank Love

My grandfather's sister, Alice G. Gambrill b. 1889 in Kent, England, came to Canada in 1911, aboard the vessel Tunisian; port of arrival was Halifax on 17Mar1911; and I've found the entry record (Roll T-4739), which says that Alice was going to Ontario.

According to family legend she went to Canada to join her sweetheart (Frank Love), who had left England sometime earlier to find work etc. They married in Canada (Ontario? or Manitoba?), and in the 1930-1950s lived in the Winnipeg area. I can recall my grandfather in England receiving annual Christmas parcels from his sister Alice in Winnipeg (during the 1950s).

I now live in Canada and would like to trace Frank Love's journey to Canada, the marriage of Alice Gambrill and Frank Love, and did they have children. I haven't had much luck.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks, John Gambrill

LindaJ

There are 6 Frank Love's on Ancestry travelling to Canada but only 3 before 1911, leaving either London, Liverpool or Glasgow. It's likely that your Frank lived somewhere close to Alice so perhaps choose some candidates from the UK census records first.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here they are, marrying in Manitoba in 1912, from the Government of Manitoba Vital Statistics website:

https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

GROOM'S LAST NAME: LOVE
    GROOM'S GIVEN NAMES: FRANK DOUGLAS
    BRIDE'S LAST NAME: GAMBELL
    BRIDE'S GIVEN NAMES: ALICE GERTRUDE
    DATE OF MARRIAGE: 21/11/1912
    PLACE OF MARRIAGE: WPG
    REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1912,003422

Adele

By googling "Frank Douglas Love", I've found that there's a similar query by a John Gambrill (and an answer) on a RootsChat forum back in 2006.

Adele

Gambrill

Thank you Adele for taking the time to do the search.

My apologies for repeating a search made in 2006. A combination of a "senior memory lapse" (sigh!), and a dead-end in 2006 that resulted from trying to trace the married couple (Frank & Alice Love) in Winnipeg. I had a contact with a Love family who live in Winnipeg, but they had no linkage to Frank & Alice.

I renewed my search after recently confirming that Alice Gambrill was not found in the 1911 Census for England, and neither was a Frank Love who came from the same town (I found both of them in the 1901 Census).

John

No apology necessary, but gratefully accepted. I wish I could have my many senior moments on Gabriola Island.

Finding the marriage was simple, as you had given excellent hints.

What is difficult is finding Frank Love & Alice Gambrill on the 1911 Census of Canada & the 1916 census of the Prairie Provinces.

According to the passenger manifest, Alice was bound for Toronto in March 1911, so she should appear on the census of June 1911.

I'm baffled.

Adele

v.wells

1911 Canada Census for Assiniboia, Saskatchewan, District 22
    Family #24 pg 2

Love, Frank, (transcribed as Lowe) hired man on farm, b. April 1890 age 21 born England arrived 1908.

Sound like your man? If so I'll submit a correction. Hopefully Adele will confirm sighting.

v.wells

I think I've looked for these people before but anyway..

There is this:
    1911 Canada Census for Humboldt, Saskatchewan subdistrict 71 page 17 Family 17
    Gambell, A

The enumerator couldn't be bothered filling out the form as all the great long list are all males, no birth dates and places of birth are much to be desired (as to be lacking). Humboldt is north of Regina and Assiniboia is south.

I tried all manners of spelling eg Cambre/i/ll/l Gamb/r/i/l/l/ and a few others. Will now try to find on 1916 census

v.wells

Couldn't find anything. They may have returned to UK after marriage and then gone back to Canada . Might be on outbound passenger lists on FMP.

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    1911 Canada Census for Assiniboia, Saskatchewan, District 22
    Family #24 pg 2

Love, Frank, (transcribed as Lowe) hired man on farm, b. April 1890 age 21 born England arrived 1908.

Sound like your man? If so I'll submit a correction. Hopefully Adele will confirm sighting.
    To me, the image reads Lowe as well.

Adele

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast