Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Anc* passenger list indexing

Having just reread an old "vanity" book about my great-grandmother, I was surprised to finally notice that she'd taken a three month trip from Canada to visit family in England in 1924.

So I immediately went to Anc* to find the passenger list. Here's the description of the ship on the UK incoming list:

Port of Departure: Surabaya, Indonesia
    Arrival Date: 20 Jun 1924
    Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
    Ports of Voyage: Genoa, Algiers, Belawan
    Ship Name: Minnedosa
    Shipping Line: Nederland Royal Mail Line
    Official Number: No official number listed

Well, the ship name is correct, but the image says that it left Montreal, docked at Southampton & it was a Canadian Pacific vessel arriving Jul 31 1924.

And of course, I have no chance of finding her return trip, because although the Canadian Passenger lists database says 1865 - 1935, here are the number of names for a few years around 1924

1921 - 128,294 names
    1922 - 8,043 names
    1923 - 1 name
    1924 - 8 names
    1925 - 134,057 names

Big sigh....

So our ancestors may be hidden on ships "arriving" from exotic ports or not there at all if they came to Canada in 1922, 1923, or 1924.

Adele

SueNSW

Adele I have to agree that the indexing of the passenger lists into the UK on Ancestry are an absolute dog's breakfast!!

The only thing I find is that if you discover a name you think is yours even if the journey in the index is nothing like you'd expect to see - as in your case - always check the original to see the "truth"

Passenger lists leaving the UK for that period are on Find My Past - and generally indexing is far better. You can view transcripts for free or buy credits to view the original entry that can sometimes provide extra info - or post her name and someone can check for you

Cheers
    Sue

v.wells

There sure are a lot of typos on the departure/destination ports - I have been submitting corrections for the ones I run across plus any names that are mistranscribed. It is sometimes hard to follow the entries across in a straight line when they have been scanned crooked!

Starting to feel at home

Default Deckboard saunter

When I look at passenger lists on ANC I have a wander around the decks, doing this I found my great Gran Martha Macfeggan had accompanied her daughter and son in law back from NZ (via Australia) which was fascinating as I didn't even know she had gone out there, so it's always worth wander about, I do this in census (should that be censii?) too especially when it's a village or hamlet.

regards
    linda

BeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Having just reread an old "vanity" book about my great-grandmother, I was surprised to finally notice that she'd taken a three month trip from Canada to visit family in England in 1924.

I have no chance of finding her return trip, because although the Canadian Passenger lists database says 1865 - 1935, here are the number of names for a few years around 1924

1921 - 128,294 names
    1922 - 8,043 names
    1923 - 1 name
    1924 - 8 names
    1925 - 134,057 names

Big sigh....

So our ancestors may be hidden on ships "arriving" from exotic ports or not there at all if they came to Canada in 1922, 1923, or 1924.

Adele
    Maybe you can find her return trip now Adele! Anc. has the new database 'Canada, Ocean Arrivals (1919-1924)', with about 750,000 records.

I've found a few ancestors arriving from the U.K. and they all have an individual card, with good info, rather than being listed on one line of the passenger manifests.

And there she is! Thanks Beejay!

Nicolina

the Minnedosa must have been on a regular run between Canada and the UK. My Grandfather's brother and family emigrated on it in 1926.
    What was your Great Grandmother's name Adele? I could check the outward bound records for you.

Thanks so much for the offer Nicolina. I couldn't stand not having the information, so purchased a few credits a while ago from FMP & found her on the outbound lists.

Nicolina

I know that feeling Adele. I always want to know the Spouse's maiden names and get so frustrated when I cannot find them, yesterday. I have such a long list but keep nibbling away at it. I might make it

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

Passenger lists are not always reliable. Many entries just give surname and no age or first name.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast