Richard Miller

Default Marriage 1766 Mary Pococke & Richard Goody

Hi B G Forum Members

I am trying to locate an original transcription of the marriage of my 4x great grandparents Richard Goody (or Goodey) and his wife Mary Pococke (or Pocock).

The IGI has informed me that this took place on 08 May 1766 in the parish of Hampstead Norris, Berkshire.

I am hoping that an original record of the marriage may have given the names of the fathers of Richard and Mary and if Mary was born in the parish. I know that Richard was born in Newnham Murren, Oxfordshire.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Regards

Richard

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller
    I am hoping that an original record of the marriage may have given the names of the fathers of Richard and Mary and if Mary was born in the parish.
    Marriage register entries of this period contain more detail than pre-1754 - but not much.

The record will not say where people were born; there should be reference to either 'of this parish', or of a particular named parish - but - 'of this parish' does not really mean a great deal and is not necessarily accurate.

Fathers will only be named if; they were witnesses, or in the case of marriage of a minor, there will be mention of the marriage being with consent of.......... There is then often just recorded 'parent(s)' or sometimes a parent or guardian is named.

If the marriage was by licence then there may be an licence allegation in which a bondsman was a father.

Jan1954

Further to Geoffers' post, to see the sort of information that you might find, have a look here.

Reputation beyond repute

A marriage certificate of this vintage won't show the names of the parents. The register shows that Richard was of Newnham and the marriage was by licence. That's the only note I have in my database.

It will be worth getting hold of the marriage licence allegation/bond. You never know what clues you may find. I haven't seen it.