Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wenfri

Default Immigration after WW1

I do know that my Grandfather George Mather Hutchinson came across the deep wide sea in 1907 with his Parents John and Jane, on the Pretorian.

I also know that my grandfather signed up and went back to England in 1915, since I have his Attestation papers in front of me.

I also know that he married and Esther Elizabeth White, July 17, 1917 in Walton Church Stafford

Ok now that I have that behind us my question is this.

Would he and his wife have travelled back to Canada on Troop ship or taken a passenger ship??

I am having a heck of time trying to figure out how he came back to Ontario Canada.

Can't locate him or her anywhere.

Any suggestions out there??

Wendy

Brick wall demolition expert!

I assume you mean return to Canada after WW1, not WW2.

A few questions:

Could you give us George & Esther's year of birth, and George's regimental # so I can find him on the LAC WW1 soldier database?

Did they have any children in England before their return to Canada?

After what year do you know that they were once again resident in Canada (eg birth of a child in Ontario)?

Are you using Ancestry to find them on Canadian passenger lists?

Adele

I've found them, but his name is George Mather Hutchinson Bowey.

=======

George returned to Halifax, Canada on the hospital ship "Letitia" 2 Aug 1917:

Nominal roll of men to be discharged in Canada

Reg #400792 Sgt Bowey G. 12th Res., 1st C.C. Reason for Discharge: Ankylesis R. Elbow

=======

Esther Bowey arrived in Quebec, Canada on the ship "Metagama" 26 Sept 1917:

Esther Bowey, 24, married, born England, going to Belmont, Ontario. Written above this information is "going to husband George Bowey farmer, Canborn Post Office"

=======

I also see Esther Elizabeth Bowey returning from a later trip to England on the ship "Minnedosa" arriving at Quebec on 9 Oct 1920:

Esther Elizabeth Bowey, 27, married, in Canada before Belmont Ont 1920, born England, going to Belmont, Ont. accompanied by Alfred John Bowey, 8 months, born Canada.

Adele

giveover

It looks as though George W H Bowey married Esther E White in Sept Quarter 1917 in Stafford.

6b 35

giveover

Congratulations Adele , for sorting the puzzle.

I found a White/Bowey marriage but until I took a look at the previous posts I didn't know of the Bowey name.

Now I can go to bed.

Anne

wenfri

Sorry for the delay in getting back here been hunting

I assume you mean return to Canada after WW1, not WW2.
    Yes I am sorry about that

I've found them, but his name is George Mather Hutchinson Bowey.

Musta been having a blonde day when I posted this

George returned to Halifax, Canada on the hospital ship "Letitia" 2 Aug 1917:
    Amazing where on earth did you find that?? So I can print it out for my family to see

As to the year they returned to Canada I have no idea as census is not due to be updated till much later.

George and Esther were married July 17, 1917 Walton Church near Stafford.

AS far as I know all of their children were born in Canada. Funny though I always though Alfred John Bowey's first name was John but could very well be Alfred. Wish he was still around so I could tease him.

I am impressed with the information that was provided. Even the Reg # is correct. Wow!!

Thanks
    Wendy
    PS Would still like to know where you found the information though

Wendy,

I found the info on Ancestry, which has indexed the passenger names. If you don't have a subscription, the passenger list images are on the Library & Archives Canada website, unindexed by name of passenger.

Here are the two ship manifests:

Metagama
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...rh36h8r9ffh4k2

Letitia
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...el756s9tmeja07

Click on View Image and then on the resulting page, you will see the first page of the passenger manifest. Use the page navigation arrows > on the right hand side to go through all the pages till you find them......

Adele

wenfri

Thanks alot Adele

Greatly appreciated

Wendy

MarkJ

I have changed the title of the thread to reflect your correction Wendy

Mark

wenfri

Thanks to Mark

Wendy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast