Thread: jewish tailor

lancsbank51

Question jewish tailor

Can anyone help.Ivy Royle a ladies tailor ,lived in the jewish area of Manchester.She met a jewish tailor on the train to Liverpool they then married and moved to Southport .The only marriage i can find is to a Norman R Bentley in 1939 .My problem is ,is this a jewish name & cannot find a birth record for Ivy .
    On the 1881 census i have all the other members of the family that i know about but have been told about these other 3 ,Albert royle married mary ann ? then married again no name and of course the above Ivy and also a May royle.
    so many royles i did not know it was such a comman name

EVE McL

Quote Originally Posted by lancsbank51 View Post
    Can anyone help.Ivy Royle a ladies tailor ,lived in the jewish area of Manchester.She met a jewish tailor on the train to Liverpool they then married and moved to Southport .The only marriage i can find is to a Norman R Bentley in 1939 .My problem is ,is this a jewish name & cannot find a birth record for Ivy .
    Althou the name does not sound Jewish, many men with any sort of foreigh sounding name fopund it expedient toi change it, (and this could date from 1914 and his parents)
    So a Bennovitz or Benzeman or Baumann might be lurking there in disguise.
    As for her birth registration, have you tried Royal(l) or Ryall? Spelling was not fixed till universal education started to bite after 1891.

Mutley

Do you have the reference for 1881?

Do you have any idea of a date of birth? Is she likely to be in the 1891, 1901 or 1911 census? Where were the other children born (parish) and did the family stay in the same place?

I can see a couple of other marriages, to a Leak in 1946 and a Watson in 1921.

lancsbank51

Default jewish tailor

Hi mutley
    Here goes 1881 census ref RG11/4037 folio 30 page 3 . George Henry Royle & Hannah Maria (Chesworth) 46 botany lane ashton under lyne.
    Elizabeth Ann Royle born 1873 married Robert Harry Holland in 1894
    Edith Royle born 1875 married Sidney James Mathew Perkins in the early 1890's
    Ann Elizabeth Royle 1880 married John Green 1904.
    now i know my mums father George William Royle was born 1885 they lived at No5 Minto street ashton .My older sister tells me that their should be an Albert Royle mums uncle who had a daughter Marion , who was my mums cousin she married a Kenneth Gooding. Maynever married and was supposed to be something to do with the diplomatic service, & Ivy were also my mums aunts ,i have not started to go forward to finding my generation yet.this lot are a big headache and the other side a complete nightmare.I think i have the Berlin wall rather than brick ones.