Thread: Eli Cotton

pennydog

Default Eli Cotton

Can anyone help me to find Eli. He was born 1855 in Bethnal Green.
    He appears in the 1861 & 1871 census with his family. He marries Emma Laura Thompson in 1879, they have a son Eli Henry in 1880.
    On 1881 census Eli, Emma & Eli Henry are living in Downham Rd, Islington, with his widowed mother, 2 sisters and brother. (both names entered as Ely). This is the last I can find of Eli.
    In 1891 Emma & Eli Henry are at Oldfield Rd, Stoke Newington with her mother mis-transcribed as Thornton (RG12/181/100/8). She is entered as married.
    In 1901 Emma & Eli Henry are at Mildmay Rd, Islington with her mother (Rg13/197/69/10), she is still married
    In 1911 Emma & her mother are at Springdale Rd, Stoke Newington - Eli Henry is married. Now Emma is a widow.
    I cannot find Eli (B1855) on 1891 or 1901 census (tried just entering Eli/Ely - nothing). Cannot find any death reg. for Eli. Looked at military deaths, nothing.
    Any suggestions? Where could he be? where did he die?

Mutley

Just checking,
    is he Elis Cotton in 1871, son of Eli and Elizth living in Shoreditch?
    RG10/453/40/13

Mutley

I cannot see him.

The only possible looking death is for an Elias Cottam in Mar 1933 at Edmonton age is 82. But both names and the age are wrong so he is not much use.

pennydog

Hi Mutley - yes that is my man and in 1881 on RG11/264/7/7 with wife & child, his mother & sisters being at the same address and that is where his trail goes cold. There was a possible death June 1890 Eli Caton St Saviour, but I then found this Eli on the 1881 census, so not him. I have just run out of ideas as to where he could have gone (not with any of his siblings either), and why I cannot find a death for him. Perhaps another pair of eyes/brain could point out the obvious that I am missing.

Mutley

Do you know if he ever used a middle name?
    In 1901 there is an E.J. Cotton living in Coldharbour Lane, Lambeth with the Grouse family as a boarder and he is a married male.
    Born 1862 (not quite right) in London without an occupation mentioned.
    RG13/431/128/8

Maybe it is worth trying to find him in previous census to eliminate him.

DRosebud

Sue,

Could Eli have immigrated after 1881 and planning later to send for his family?

pennydog

Thanks for your input DRosebud, I had not considered emmigration. Eli had no trade/career, on his marriage cert. he is a 'Hatter' (sure makes me mad!), and Labourer on census. He could write (or at least write his name). His father moved from the Yorkshire cotton industry to London where everyone remained until beyond the 1911 census. This is certainly a line I will follow up. Thanks again.