Thread: Hundley name

Default Hundley name

Fanny Hundley allegedly adopted by a couple running a tobacconists in Worcester in 1850s
    Census '61 and '71 record her birth in 1845, Kidderminster but I cannot find any record of this, I assume then that Hundley was an adopted name.
    However Fanny married in 1865 and one of the witnesses was the female half of the couple who ran the afore -mentioned tobacconists, then widowed and guess what? her maiden name was Hundley.So is she really Fanny's mother? More frustratingly, this same marriage certificate records Fanny's father as William Price/Gentleman (needle in a haystack comes to mind.)
    I'm having sleepless nights over it!

I think I am probably having a thick moment but how do you know the witnesses' maiden name was Hundley? That wouldn't appear on the marriage certificate of another person.
    Because it seemed a little odd that the name Price as a father should make its appearance on the marriage certificate I looked for a birth for a Fanny Price c1845. There is this one - Registration district Kidderminster June 1/4 1845 vol 18 page 381. The gentleman part was probably a figment of the imagination, but you never know.
    Could you give us the census references you have her on as I am having trouble finding her.
    Christina

EVE McL

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I think I am probably having a thick moment but how do you know the witnesses' maiden name was Hundley? That wouldn't appear on the marriage certificate of another person.
    Because it seemed a little odd that the name Price as a father should make its appearance on the marriage certificate I looked for a birth for a Fanny Price c1845. There is this one - Registration district Kidderminster June 1/4 1845 vol 18 page 381. The gentleman part was probably a figment of the imagination, but you never know.
    Could you give us the census references you have her on as I am having trouble finding her.
    Christina
    Illegitimate children often knew the name of their father, since this was a wise move if the child grew up in the same neighbourhood, to avoid awkward liaisons with the legitmate children of the father.
    Ture, he may not have been a gentleman in the proper sense (and certainly not in the behavioural sense), but presumably he was better off and not willing or perhaps able to marry the mother.
    The child may be that of the unoffically 'adopting' mother' if born before their known marriage, or belong to a sister or niece. Perhaps the couple kindly took her in, probably with a payment from the father to support her.
    Try the Petty Sessions records for the Kidderminster area just after the birth of Fanny. Failing survivial of these records, then the local paper should have a report.
    If the mother was still 'in keeping' when Fanny was born, and dumped later, then try a few years down the line.
    If the registration found in 1845 does apply, then perhaps the parents were living together at the time and only later it was discovcered he was a bigamist (or some scenario like that).
    Many children were not registered before 1870, though , when the rules were tightened up.

Default Hundley name

Thanks very much both, for getting back to me.

Fanny Hundley m Frederic Arthur Chapman Nov 1865, Leigh with Bransford, her father William Price Hundley and witnesses Edwin/Ann Andrews.
    Edwin Andrews m Ann Bond 1860 Worcs
    Ann Hundley m James Bond 1850 Worcs. 1851 census All Saints Worcs HO 107/2042/ p4

1861 census Fanny Hanley St Swithins Worcs RG 9/2090 p14 Dressmaker
    1871 Fanny Chapman Tettenhalll Staffs RG10/2927 p5 Gardeners wife

Fanny moved with her husband's job but in 1876 she died in Broadmore Green, Rushwick which is not far from where she was married but her husband, Frederick who registered the death, recorded his address as Henley Hall, Shropshire. Ann Andrews/Bond/Hundley's sister Mary Badham, lived all her married life in Broadmore Green so was Fanny visiting her and was she really Fanny's mother?
    Interestingly, Fanny's daughter Maud, was also illegitimate.
    Cheers Agness.

mxwlamont

Hi Agness,
    Stumbled across this old post while doing follow-up research. Was wondering if you could tell me, do you know if the Maud you mention went on to marry Alfred Cook in 1883?